Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help With Media Center Parental Controls

2 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello Everyone,

I need help becasue I don't know what I am doing.

I recently built a WHS out of an old desktop - no problems, it was easy. I ripped several DVD's and put the files in the shared/videos folder on the WHS. We have two TV's, one on a XBOX-360 and the other on a desktop running win7. I have connected Media Center on the desktop to WHS using the "connector" install, and I have setup the xbox as a Media Center "extender". I can watch the movies on the WHS shared folder on either TV with no problems -- its worked great the first time. My problem is that when I rip the movie DVD's to the WHS shared folder, the parental rating info is lost. I am using DVDFab in VOBpassthrough mode to get the original mpeg2 files - I rename them to xxx.mpg and they stream through MC just fine and it looks very good! Our library is small so the file size of the mpeg2 files is not an issue.

My problem is that the Media Center prental controls don't seem work if the rating is missing -- not surprising. Even when I configure Media Center to block unrated movies, they load and play regardless. Is there any way to restore the missing metadata in the video files? Or can I have two video stores, one that is passcode protected and one that isn't?

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to ask these questions.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

My guess is that it's losing the metadata for the movies. Have you tried ripping them to WMV or the like?

Also, another option is to run mediaBrowser. It grabs metadata from local files or from the web, and has parental controls set up in it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Shares - A Nightmare!
      By Hyde · Posted
      Woke this morning to a message that one of the folders in Music had already been shared and did I want to replace that with the current request. So said yes. It churned for another 15 minutes or so and then came back and said everything is now shared. So I'll test writing something to that folder structure when I get home tonight. Any thoughts on the certificate error when using RDP on the same network? 
    • WHoSeBox - Use your WHS like dropbox
      By stigzler · Posted
      Hi folks. Just thought I'd share a little app I made. It lets you use your WHS like dropbox - with public shares + link grabbing from explorer. I'm a hobby coder - so don't expect watertight - but think it's working OK - any probs just let me know. Check it here: https://whosebox.codeplex.com/
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By darkarn · Posted
      Thanks for your reply! Ah, that issue. I was thinking of using a modded BIOS though, which HP wont support lol, but the network card not working is news to me. Besides, I am strongly considering to pay a bit more and go for a Gen8 instead.
    • Shares - A Nightmare!
      By Hyde · Posted
      Have shut down the RDP session and re-connected.  Using the host machine's name I still get the message back that the Server isn't switched on, not my network, etc. etc.  Tried again with the IP address and once again I get the warning that the certificate isn't from a trusted source, but at least I can still get an RDP session and the Sharing dialog box is still churning some 20 minutes since I kicked it off (for the 3rd time at least today).  So, would be nice to know why I have this certificate error too???  and how to fix it ;-)
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By Guest · Posted
      Don't.. HP has poor support, and there's lots of compatibility issues with N54l.

Flashing the bios requires permission from HP before you can even download it, luckily i found another download link, but even after updating the bios, the network card still does not work with Windows.