Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windows 7 Disks

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I hate how HP and other companies do not include windows os disks with their computers and system drives are so expensive if you go through the company that made the computer. Windows Vista was great in that all someone needed to reinstall their OS was a new hard drive and the OS disks. You would just type in the code on the sticker on the computer. Nothing really illegal because you bought a legal copy of the OS with your computer and your still just using that one copy just on a different hard drive because the first system hard drive went bad. Vista was even great in that Ultimate, Home Premium, Home Basic, and Home Starter were all on the same disks meaning the OS disk would install the appropriate OS based on the code from the sticker. Now that I explained things in overly simplistic terms I come to my Windows 7 question:

Can I use Window 7 ulitmate disks to install windows 7 home premium using the code from the sticker on a new system hard drive in an HP computer that originally had windows 7 home premium?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

thanks it looks rather simple

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• new server build - hdd choice
      By dazza666 · Posted
      Hello all  It's time to upgrade my server; I currently have a WHS v1setup, based around a tranquil PC 5 bay WHS v1 box, which has been mostly excellent, but due to the the limitation of 2TB HDD with V1. I have ended up with various USB expansion drives and its got to the point where its time to upgrade to a new system, at this point its not worth considering V2 of the home server software. The new set up is around a Windows 10 storage spaces & 4 bay HP microserver. I wanted to load up the Microserver with seagate's 8TB HDD, but after reading about the performance of this HDD i'm not so sure if I should choose a different drive as my boot drive Does anyone have any recommendations? I was considering a WD Red 5TB as the boot drive - but should I be looking at something else?
    • Windows 10 Server Not Suspend
      By Lamplugh · Posted
      Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been trying out a number of options all to no avail. As Andrew suggested I have disabled Wake on Pattern Match, (It was previously enabled.) The Power Power Management options were already ticked, so I have tried unticking them all waiting 24 hours and then reticking. Wake on Magic Packet is currently enabled, I don't know if I should change that. I don't seem to have the Shutdown Wake on Lan option but I do have WOL & Shutdown Link Speed which is set to 10 Mbs First. I still feel it is some W10 feature as the new system seems dead keen on talking to Microsoft at every opportunity. I have obviously tried to switch as many of these off as I know about. Any suggestion welcome as I don't really want my server on effectively 24/7.  
    • Temp Files Created By Server Backup
      By Dave Marchant (WGS) · Posted
      It sort of makes sense as the oldest tmp file corresponds to the oldest backup. I agree that it is not good design. I don't fancy a BSOD just at the moment as about to go away on holiday so need to have the server working reliably while I am away or I get no email  Could be one for the MVP's to feed back into Microsoft for a comment. 
    • Temp Files Created By Server Backup
      By glorp · Posted
      Thank you for confirming that Dave! I don't have the full gui installed so I couldn't do a Disk Cleanup on mine. I wondered if that would work to get rid of them. Guess not. I suspect they may be some kind of mount point for the vhd that is created right at the beginning of backup and deleting them causes havoc later when Server Backup tries to do incremental backups using the old mount point. My backups "exist" forever since they are on 1TB and in no danger of running out of space. It occurred to me that maybe they get deleted when a backup gets removed. In any case it's a pretty piss poor design to leave critical ".tmp" files in Windows\Temp if you ask me. If you really want to test things at your end, delete them In any case at least I know what has been causing the random BSODs I get every few months since I installed WSE2012 and what to do not to get them.  
    • Moving from V1 to Essentials
      By Dave Marchant (WGS) · Posted
      Sorry, the backups are not compatible with WHS 2011 or any of the Server Essentials variants. There is no easy workaround either.  You don't give any indication in the spec of the V1 box so difficult to say whether Essentials will run on it. I beleive the limitation may possibly be RAM if you are thinking of one of the original HP Home Servers.