Archiving Dvds For Media Streaming

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone

I'm just in the middle of trying to fill my WHS with music and video etc, and would like to start on archiving all my dvds to it, ready for streaming to my connected devices.

My question is, what program do you think is best to use? I recall reading an article or post somewhere on here about it but it was months ago and I can't find it anymore. I would like my DVDs to be streamed as if i had just popped the disc in the drive ie with menus and stuff.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Cheers, J

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

If you want to retain menus, then you only have two options. Either rip directly to a folder for each movie, or rip to an .iso file. Hopefully, you have AnyDVD for decrypting your DVDs. It can do both of these things for you.

How well this all works depends on what you are "streaming" to. There's a big difference between streaming to something like a WDTV digital media player, and transcoding to a device like an Xbox or PS3.

Posted · Report post

Personally I don't want the menus, just the film itself (either at near-DVD quality and/or a version suitable for my iPod Touch), so I use the aforementioned AnyDVD running in the background (pricey but worth it, plus not much else out there to be honest), then I use a free program called Handbrake to do the conversion to either an MKV or MP4/M4V file.

I choose near-DVD quality as a) you can't tell the difference in pic quality and b ) the end result is a file in the region of 2Gb, which suits my own personal storage situation better than a 6/7/8Gb original ISO.

Lots of different settings for Handbrake but some suggestions on settings here.

If you go down this route and want to know 'my' ideal settings, then just ask. I say 'my' because it really is subjective, and depends on what sort of file format/quality/sound/etc etc you are looking (e.g. for sound are you happy with just Dolby ProLogicIIx, or do you want to preserve the original surround track in AC3 format, etc).

Took me a while to get my head round it all, but it was worth it as I now have stuff streaming nicely via DLNA to my Sony blu-ray player and am a very happy boy indeed :)

Posted · Report post

MakeMKV does the same thing except it's free. I was able to rip all my DVD collection into MKV files and stream to my PS3 and WD TV Live Plus.

Posted · Report post

MakeMKV does the same thing except it's free. I was able to rip all my DVD collection into MKV files and stream to my PS3 and WD TV Live Plus.

I'll throw in a second vote for MakeMKV. Great product if you just want the main movie title (including all audio and subtitle tracks) and nothing else. I play mine on a Popcorn Hour A-100.