Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lukadrugo

I/o Device Error For External Hd

1 post in this topic

Hi guys,

my external hard disk won't work. First, when I turn it on makes a strange noise and is not recognized by Windows, later, Windows recognizes it - after a few minutes (in the sense that I can hear the classic Windows sound when you plug / unplug a device) but it is not accessible nor I can format it. When I try to format it I get the following message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Any ideas on this?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Christopher wrote:  << And to clarify, if you want multiple backup drives to be cycled offsite, you MUST connect all of them at the same time when you set up the backups. >> I'm not clear about this. To the best of my recollection, I never connected both of my backup drives to the server at the same time,  For test purposes, I just initiated a recovery (using the WHS Installation Disk) with each of them hooked up.  The one that has been offsite and the one that backed up last night were both found by the "Repair an existing installation" procedure.  Perhaps I'm misreading your clarification.
    • Please check if task scheduler is still working. If not use this tool here https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/ If that does not help you may try to reinstall WHS Connector.
    • My WHS v1 (home build) starting misbehaving and finally needed a new system disk.
      After lots of threads, trial and errors, AF and non-AF drives, and lack of the Server Reinstallation choice it has finally progressed.
      Weeks of frustration. My recent attempts proceeded well but all ended up without the rebuilding of the Storage Pool (6 drives).
      The drives are detected and show up as "not added" in Server Storage and as "non managed" in Disk Management.
      There is no C:\fs on the SYS volume.
      It appears that the RebuildPrimary stage of the reinstallation, mentioned by some posters, was not successful. Has anyone found a way to force the rebuilding of the Storage Pool on reinstallation?
      I have tried X: Files v1.5.5 and the original Microsoft Disk with the same outcome. [My next step will be to migrate the "shares" and "folders" manually - it would have be quicker to have done this initially.]

• Hi, I can use all feature using the connector software in my local network. But when on the road, I connect via xxx.homeserver.com. Login works, can access my shared folders, but when I want to access the WHS 2011 Server Dashboard or my WHS 2011 Outlook, I got an error like this: The Computer can't connect with the Remotedesktop-Gatewayserver. Contact your network admin. (translated from german) . On an Windows 7 Home and on a 7 Pro Computer this worked. The same problem happens on my Windows 10 tablet. Only local working with the connector software. Windows 10 is version 1607. Any suggestions what this is?
    • Hello All, I've tried searching on the forum but was unable to find a good walk through on moving a whs V1 to new hardware. Many years ago now I built a server out of an old dell gx270.  That box is really showing its age and is having problems.  Currently the system will boot but it no longer has video and I have to remote into it to see anything. If memory serves me correctly there was a way to save a backup of the server data. Can I simply make this backup of the data and switch out the server hardware reattach the drives and load the backup? How do I get the existing computer backups to move across?   Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Popular Contributors