Asus P8P67 - Lan Driver And Max Ram

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey everyone, two questions:

- Does WHS 2011 support the P67 chipset default intel lan adapter? I tried everything to get it to load: driver's from the intel site, asus site, device manager.

- Is there a max limit on ram in WHS 2011? I put 16 gb in my machine, which is registered but properties reports only 8gb as usable.

Thanks!

-Brycerocket

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

Hey everyone, two questions:

- Does WHS 2011 support the P67 chipset default intel lan adapter? I tried everything to get it to load: driver's from the intel site, asus site, device manager.

- Is there a max limit on ram in WHS 2011? I put 16 gb in my machine, which is registered but properties reports only 8gb as usable.

Thanks!

-Brycerocket

The on board nic for the P8P67 does not work with WHS/2008R2 I tried everything myself and ended up adding in a nic card. Not sure abbout the ram but I'm pretty sure it should see all 16GB

Posted · Report post

Any suggestions on compatible NICs? would like to have gigabit. Yeah I'm pretty sure the memory is a limitation since it does show 16 right next to the 8 usable.

Posted · Report post

>>I put 16 gb in my machine,

overkill, WHS will barley ever use 4GB, pull some memory down to 8 or 4 and use it elsewhere.

Posted · Report post

WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation, which is capped at 8GB RAM and a single CPU (although multiple cores are supported).

Posted · Report post

>>I put 16 gb in my machine,

overkill, WHS will barley ever use 4GB, pull some memory down to 8 or 4 and use it elsewhere.

I plan on running virtual machines in vmware so the extra ram is for that

Posted · Report post

I just finished building a WHS2011 server using the Asus P8H67-M EVO board. It uses the same LAN chip that the P8P67 uses. It is not an Intel Lan chip. It is a Realtek® 8111E.

The Intel LAN chip is only used on the P8P67-Pro, P8P67-Evo, and P8P67-Deluxe. The standard P8P67 and P8P67-LE use Realtek LAN chips.

In my case, the driver wiould not install if I used the Asus setup utility since it did not recognize WHS. I manually found the setup utility within the folder structure and ran that instead. Has worked great.

Posted · Report post

I just finished building a WHS2011 server using the Asus P8H67-M EVO board. It uses the same LAN chip that the P8P67 uses. It is not an Intel Lan chip. It is a Realtek® 8111E.

The Intel LAN chip is only used on the P8P67-Pro, P8P67-Evo, and P8P67-Deluxe. The standard P8P67 and P8P67-LE use Realtek LAN chips.

In my case, the driver wiould not install if I used the Asus setup utility since it did not recognize WHS. I manually found the setup utility within the folder structure and ran that instead. Has worked great.

sorry I didn't realize there was just a P8P67 - I have a P8P67 pro

Posted · Report post

Your board has the Intel 82579 LAN chip. Did you try the Intel driver directly from their website. I believe any driver for x64 systems are the same. Here is a link for the Windows Swerver 2008 R2, which is the same as the Win 7 x64 Driver. Download the PROWinx64.exe driver and try that.

INTEL DRIVER

Posted · Report post

Your board has the Intel 82579 LAN chip. Did you try the Intel driver directly from their website. I believe any driver for x64 systems are the same. Here is a link for the Windows Swerver 2008 R2, which is the same as the Win 7 x64 Driver. Download the PROWinx64.exe driver and try that.

INTEL DRIVER

Yup - tried that. I Windows Server 2008 R2 also so I may try that too.

Posted · Report post

Hmm... that's odd. I was able to load the Ethernet drive on a P8P67-M Pro board, but it really took some wranging to get it to work. Once you're in setup where it notifies you that your drivers aren't working, you need to CTRL-ALT-DEL and start Task Manager so you'll be able to see the desktop. Then manually install the driver by opening up Device Manager, looking for the NIC card, and manually pointing Windows to find the driver on the ASUS DVD. You have to do this roundabout way of installing drivers because ASUS' mobo utility refuses to install on any server OS. It's one of the reasons I swapped that board for a MSI board (the other reason is that a board with an H67 chipset is much better suited for a server since you don't need to have a separate video card installed).

Posted · Report post

I got it working by telling it I wanted to pick the driver, selected Ethernet devices, selected Intel and then selected the 82579LM driver and it was happy.

Edit: I have the P8P67 Pro with the Intel LAN chip