Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
siteexperts

Promoting Whs 2011 To A Domain Controller

12 posts in this topic

Is it possible (I know it is not supported) to promote WHS 2011 to a domain controller?

I am currently running windows server with a VHD for WHS 1.0. When I upgrade, I am considering eliminating the VHD and hosting WHS directly.

Thanks.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Why not just get Windows SBS 2011 Essentials? It's WHS + AD support.

What are the differences between SBS 2011 Essentials and Home Server?

I could not find a comparison chart. Are all the backup, remote access, and media features also available in SBS? If so, I will definitely go that route.

Here is the snapshot from tomontech

Windows Home Server 2011

User Limit 10 Users

Computer Limit 10 Computers

CPU Socket Support 1 CPU Socket

Maximum Supported RAM 8 GB RAM

Domain Join? None

Data Sheet Click Here

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials

User Limit 25 Users

Computer Limit 25 Computers

CPU Socket Support 2 CPU Sockets

Maximum Supported RAM 32 GB RAM

Domain Join? Domain Controller

Data SheetClick Here

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

User Limit 25 Users

Computer Limit 25 Computers

CPU Socket Support1 CPU Socket

Maximum Supported RAM 8 GB RAM

Domain Join? Yes

Data Sheet Click Here

You won't get the media features (Silverlight streaming, Media Center archiving & Homegroup Support) as they're considered consumer, rather than business features. That said, there are plenty of media server apps for Windows which you can use instead. Remote Access and Client backup are in, as is AD support.

On balance, it's probably easier to replicate the media features in SBSE, rather than try to hack in AD support in WHS.

Terry,

I am pretty new but I am considering SBS 2011 E instead of WHS mainly to have some extra features for expansion ( I love adding virtual machines for testing purpose & I could see hitting 10 pretty quick).

When you say that SBSE doesnt have: Silverlight streaming, Media Center archiving & Homegroup Support, what does that mean?

Thanks,

Rich

Silverlight streaming - WHS 2011 has an integrated Silverlight-based media player than can stream music and video on the local network and remotely via a web browser.

Media Center archiving - Media Center PCs connected to WHS 2011 can automatically archive their Recorded TV folders to the home server and play back recorded TV seamlessly as if the files were stored on the local PC.

Homegroup Support - WHS 2011 integrates neatly with Windows 7 Homegroups, allowing you to quickly build libraries of content across multiple PCs in the home.

Terry

I already have a domain controller running WHS v1 is a VM. I was hoping to consolidate this down to a single O/S instance.

We do use the windows media archival feature and my movies in windows home server. Anyone know if my movies works on SBS?

I assume it may be simpler just to run whs 2011 in the VM on my existing domain controller. The lack domain join is a pain but I have already been working around it.

If I go this route, I assume I should set-up RAID across my data hard-drives and then expose the RAID'ed drives to the VM.

I did try a dcpromo when I was testing WHS2011 because I was curious to see what would happen and... it said that the server can't run as a domain controller under this SKU, or similar.

Wouldn't surprise me if you could tweak some files to make it work though.

I used to serve movies from my SBS2003 server and will be doing so with SBS2011Essentials. It is just data -- the problem I ran into with the Microsoft media serving tools is that they worked for specific encoding formats and pretended the others were not there. So if I had a bunch of movies in DIVX, for example, Windows Media would ignore them even though it had a decoder add-on so could play them if forced. With a small number of users and a gigabit wired network there doesn't seem to be an issue -- just weirdness of what the Windows media services see. So I ignore the media features and just serve data -- to players on PCs or my PopcornHour media player.

Is SBS2011 capable of "hosting" movie files so that an Xbox 360 can play them? Right now I rip my DVDs to my WHS 1.0 box and play them in my living room via my 360.

Check out Serviio. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Yeah, mine stopped working also, but this time the communicator would allow connection to the server.
      But the automated backups were not occurring. I had to re-setup the folders associated with the computer "Customize Backup For This Computer" and then the automated backups worked again. Apparently there is an option for an anniversary clean install. Then install the connector.
      I think that would be the best option. But definitely a pain in the butt. Let us know how it goes.
      Shane
      Sydney, Australia      
    • Depends on what your storage requirements are going to be.   I personally favor RAID-10 (mirrored stripe) arrays because of the lack of a need for parity, but it's not particularly storage efficient, and with your current setup, you'd have only 4TBs (3.63TiBs) of storage space available (half of an 8TB stripe due to mirroring), in which a minimum 160GBs of that 4TBs is used for the C: drive if you partition the volume during installation. WIth 4 disks, you could do RAID-5, which would give you 6TBs (5.4TiBs) of storage space (because 2TBs is used for RAID stripe parity), but then there's the parity performance penalty and the higher risk of an unrecoverable read error (URE) killing your array and losing your data if you're not using enterprise drives.   ...or you could try Storage Spaces, I guess.
    • RODCs only work with "active" services like DHCP when the RWDC (your DC) is still active.  If the RODC can't get the information from the RWDC, then the DHCP service stops on the RODC.   The problem is, since the RODC is read-only, it can't write back the DHCP lease information to AD, especially if your only read-write domain controller is down.   DNS and Global Catalog (AD authentication) works as long as clients are only reading from it, but DNS changes won't update if a client's only DNS server is a RODC.   AD best-practices is to have a minimum of two RWDCs for any domain (which Microsoft itself doesn't follow with the Essentials product in the first place), so that you have another writable domain controller that can update information in the event the primary goes offline.
    • That's not how WAN uplinks work.  Except for very specific circumstances*, you won't be able to aggregate separate WAN links into one large WAN "pipe" with combined bandwidth to a single destination.  TCP/IP doesn't work that way, and even in the event you somehow jury rig half of an IMUX'ed (inversely multiplexed) connection with three very different WAN connections, most intelligent security devices on the public Internet will simply reject TCP [SYN,ACKs] they never received an initial TCP [SYN] from -- asymmetric routing will just be outright rejected.   Most smart security devices can support multiple WAN connections (usually two with a third as a warm spare backup), but done in such a way that there's a defined primary connection, a designated backup/failover connection...or done in such a way that each outgoing connection uses a separate WAN link, or in an active/backup/cellular failover or active/active/cellular failover configuration in the case of Cisco's Meraki hardware   To illustrate how it'd work, say you have three connections:  LTE-1, LTE-2 and ADSL.  So you have Netflix open.  That connection to Netflix is only going to take a single path (LTE-1), since each path has its own public IP address.  If you then decide to go to YouTube in a new browser tab, that YouTube connection may take a separate path (LTE-2), depending on how you have the uplinks configured.  Then you decide to stream Pandora from a third browser tab -- that Pandora stream may also take the last path available (ADSL), but each media stream will still be limited to the bandwidth of the path it's taken and won't be aggregated to a single connection equaling the sum of all three WAN uplinks.   *The only scenario in which WAN aggregation works as a combined WAN "pipe" is if you have a single ISP that can terminate a group of identical media types between you and their edge before going out to the Internet -- such as a group of DS1, DS3 or IMA (Inverse Multiplexing over ATM) connections from your edge device to their first hop edge.  In that scenario, the WAN bundle is only going between you and your ISP, but that requires ISP support, additional ISP-provided hardware, and is usually VERY EXPENSIVE to implement for a home user.
    • I've been thinking about using W10 as my server recently.  MS has pretty much killed the home server market via pricing and poor support like the issue you ran into.  Essentials is an after thought for MS. The one thing that keeps me from moving to W10 is the remote access piece, but since that is not a requirement for you, I'd suggest W10.
  • Popular Contributors