Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Promoting Whs 2011 To A Domain Controller

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is it possible (I know it is not supported) to promote WHS 2011 to a domain controller?

I am currently running windows server with a VHD for WHS 1.0. When I upgrade, I am considering eliminating the VHD and hosting WHS directly.

Thanks.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

Why not just get Windows SBS 2011 Essentials? It's WHS + AD support.

Posted · Report post

What are the differences between SBS 2011 Essentials and Home Server?

I could not find a comparison chart. Are all the backup, remote access, and media features also available in SBS? If so, I will definitely go that route.

Posted · Report post

Here is the snapshot from tomontech

Windows Home Server 2011

User Limit 10 Users

Computer Limit 10 Computers

CPU Socket Support 1 CPU Socket

Maximum Supported RAM 8 GB RAM

Domain Join? None

Data Sheet Click Here

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials

User Limit 25 Users

Computer Limit 25 Computers

CPU Socket Support 2 CPU Sockets

Maximum Supported RAM 32 GB RAM

Domain Join? Domain Controller

Data SheetClick Here

Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials

User Limit 25 Users

Computer Limit 25 Computers

CPU Socket Support1 CPU Socket

Maximum Supported RAM 8 GB RAM

Domain Join? Yes

Data Sheet Click Here

Posted · Report post

You won't get the media features (Silverlight streaming, Media Center archiving & Homegroup Support) as they're considered consumer, rather than business features. That said, there are plenty of media server apps for Windows which you can use instead. Remote Access and Client backup are in, as is AD support.

On balance, it's probably easier to replicate the media features in SBSE, rather than try to hack in AD support in WHS.

Posted · Report post

Terry,

I am pretty new but I am considering SBS 2011 E instead of WHS mainly to have some extra features for expansion ( I love adding virtual machines for testing purpose & I could see hitting 10 pretty quick).

When you say that SBSE doesnt have: Silverlight streaming, Media Center archiving & Homegroup Support, what does that mean?

Thanks,

Rich

Posted · Report post

Silverlight streaming - WHS 2011 has an integrated Silverlight-based media player than can stream music and video on the local network and remotely via a web browser.

Media Center archiving - Media Center PCs connected to WHS 2011 can automatically archive their Recorded TV folders to the home server and play back recorded TV seamlessly as if the files were stored on the local PC.

Homegroup Support - WHS 2011 integrates neatly with Windows 7 Homegroups, allowing you to quickly build libraries of content across multiple PCs in the home.

Terry

Posted · Report post

I already have a domain controller running WHS v1 is a VM. I was hoping to consolidate this down to a single O/S instance.

We do use the windows media archival feature and my movies in windows home server. Anyone know if my movies works on SBS?

I assume it may be simpler just to run whs 2011 in the VM on my existing domain controller. The lack domain join is a pain but I have already been working around it.

If I go this route, I assume I should set-up RAID across my data hard-drives and then expose the RAID'ed drives to the VM.

Posted · Report post

I did try a dcpromo when I was testing WHS2011 because I was curious to see what would happen and... it said that the server can't run as a domain controller under this SKU, or similar.

Wouldn't surprise me if you could tweak some files to make it work though.

Posted · Report post

I used to serve movies from my SBS2003 server and will be doing so with SBS2011Essentials. It is just data -- the problem I ran into with the Microsoft media serving tools is that they worked for specific encoding formats and pretended the others were not there. So if I had a bunch of movies in DIVX, for example, Windows Media would ignore them even though it had a decoder add-on so could play them if forced. With a small number of users and a gigabit wired network there doesn't seem to be an issue -- just weirdness of what the Windows media services see. So I ignore the media features and just serve data -- to players on PCs or my PopcornHour media player.

Posted · Report post

Is SBS2011 capable of "hosting" movie files so that an Xbox 360 can play them? Right now I rip my DVDs to my WHS 1.0 box and play them in my living room via my 360.

Posted · Report post

Check out Serviio. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Shares - A Nightmare!
      By FlashmanAB · Posted
      Hi Hyde, I also had some trouble with read/write shares becoming read only. Very slow to apply the share at first and then reverting to read only... Are you also sharing with a Homegroup? I am but not sure if that is just an unnecessary complication to the sharing side of things?
    • WD DS5100 -- Setup questions
      By fasttimes · Posted
      I found under the Storage Tab / Hard Drives an option which let me add the two unallocaed drives. When I click on Manage, it tells me I have: Two-way mirror 16.0TB using 2.50 GB pool capacity A little poking around and it seems I have a pool of 3.6 TB and a capacity of 16 TB.  I'm a little confused as to what those are.  Maybe I missed a sticky on the forums here. When I look at explorer, it shows that I have 16TB on my (new) D drive.  How can that be if I only have a 4TB box?
    • WD DS5100 -- Setup questions
      By fasttimes · Posted
      I just got my WD DS5100 today (4TB) http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.30663100/categoryID.68246000/subCategory.68246200/parid.59193300/catid.68245900/WD_Sentinel_DS5100 I went through the initial boot and setup, however I only see the OS drive.  If I go to disk manager, I see two other unallocated drives.  What do I have to do to bring these guys online?  Do I have to do that from disk manager?  I would think (hope) that the regular dashboard would do this for me.  What drive options are available for Essentials (extender, mirroring, etc)?   I think that decision needs to be made before I do anything else. Is there a "getting started" guide?  I'm coming from WHS v1, and wanted to know what disk options are available.  My initial goal is to get my various computers automatically backing up like they did for WHS.  Is this still called the "connector" for Essentials?  I'd still like to find a tour of what features are available.  I'm sure there is a lot of functionality I will never use, but I'd like to at least know it exists. Thanks!      
    • H340 Motherboard Swap
      By mrhappy002 · Posted
      Hey guys! I'm hoping you can help me out. I bought a used (but working) mini-ITX Intel DQ45EK motherboard on which I repurposed a CPU I had (Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 2.13GHz) and 4Gb of RAM. I've tested my soldering and I read good voltages. The problem is the following: the minute I plug the power cable on the H340, both the CPU and system fan spin and stop, spin and stop, continuously. I do not get a beep or nothing. I have unplugged and reconnected the PSU but still no go. Also, I tried starting without connecting the 4-pin yellow and black PSU cable and this makes the fans spin continusouly. No stop and go...?! I will try to see if the problem is the PSU (with another one I have somewhere) but it should be working. Could my setup be taking too much power for the CPU to be able to start up? I dont know... Any help would be appreciated. I also tried removing the RAM, etc.
    • Decisions, Decisions. Keep Whs2011 Or Make The Leap To 8.1
      By wiretap · Posted
      I made the jump from WHS 2011 to Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ MCE.

Old server:
      Intel i5 2500k Processor
      Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard
      8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
      90GB Corsair ForceGT SSD [OS Drive]
      20TB storage (FlexRAID∞ with 2-drive redundancy, all WD Green 1TB/2TB) 
      Ceton InfiniTV 4
      Rocketfish Case (modded to hold 20 hard drives)
      Highpoint DC-7280 Datacenter HBA
      Sans Digital TowerRAID 8-bay eSATA Enclosure
      Zalman 850w Heatpipe Cooled PSU
      WHS 2011 SP1

New server:
      Norco RPC-4220 4U Case
      Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
      Supermicro X9SCM Motherboard
      Intel Xeon E3-1240 Processor
      Supertalent 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333 ECC RAM
      Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-e
      HDHomerun Connect (via network)
      3x IBM M1015 SAS Controllers flashed to IT Mode
      2x 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD's (Datastore and Backup Datastore)
      7x 4TB Western Digital SSHD's
      10x 2TB Western Digital Green HDD's
      1x 1TB Western Digital Passport for external backup images of OS
      5x SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables
      3x 120mm Arctic Cooling F12 PWM Fans
      2x 80mm Arctic Cooling F8 Rev.2 PWM Fans
      1x 92mm Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus PWM CPU Fan
      ESXi 6.0
      VM1: Windows 8.1 x64 w/ MCE + Emby Server + Ubiquiti NVR + SnapRAID + Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner
      VM2: Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 + PRTG Network Monitor + Backup Management

I went virtual, and I'm not looking back. It seems complicated when you first look at it, but it makes life so much easier.

With the new server setup, I have everything pretty much fully automated, and it will send me alerts if there's an error or a scheduled task fails. Hard drives will alert me on a SMART error, SnapRAID sync/scrub send notifications when they complete successfully or fail, TV/movie recordings auto save and archive with Emby Server, Ubiquiti IPcam recordings and alerts get sent to my phone, etc. The new server also uses about 50w less power, as logged from my UPS, so that's good as well.

ESXi is free, so I decided to give it a try. Deploying and managing VM's is very simple and I can even manage it from my phone via the VMware watchlist app. (you can even use remote desktop from it) I have it setup so my phone is connected to my pfSense router via OpenVPN, and ESXi alerts my phone if a VM has a problem.

I stepped away from WHS 2011 since it has been phased out, and I went with Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ MCE since it has a little bit better support for my applications I use on the server side, and it also supports CableCARD in WMC natively. (using Cable Advisor DRM bypass for encrypted channels) It's much better than the ghetto rigged Ceton network tuner sharing loophole I had setup before.

I'm also very happy with SnapRAID, since I was using FlexRAID before. It's much simpler, and I found FlexRAID buggy when I had to add/remove hard drives. I almost lost some of my data when a drive started to die and didn't alert me properly, then restoring it wasn't successful. (long story, as seen many times on FlexRAID forums)

Hope this helps.