RJ3301

Adding A Windows 7 64 Bit Client

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am attempting to add a W7 64 bit client to my WHS network. I am using 32 bit v1 Power Pack 3 on my server and was able to access it from the new client using the server:55000. It uses the Connector software and downloads the console software and when it tries to install gives me this error:

Unsupported 16-bit application

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\Rob/Appdata\Local\Temp\WindowsHomeServerConnector\SetUp.exe cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit compatible version is available.

I have tried to find a solution for this all night. From everything I've read I thought if PP3 was installed that would take care of any 32 bit 64 bit issues.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Have you tried accessing the software directly via the network instead of via a web browser? Navigate to \\servername\software, find the folder for the connector (can't remember the name right off) and run setup.exe. You may be tempted to run the executable with "64" in the name, but don't as it won't work. Just run setup.exe and it should autodetect the correct version. This is how I've always connected my Win 7 64bit systems.

I run 64 bit with no problem

Run the WHS Connector Troubleshooter (part of the WHS toolkit), and that should identify exactly what the issue is (if a bit technical).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• There's a post on problems re-installing WHS 2011 Connector software on Windows 10 with anniversary update here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/31019-whs-2011-and-windows-10/&_fromLogin=1#replyForm Doing a clean install of Windows 10 appears to work, but much simpler is creating the folder: C:\Windows\System32\Task\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server  and then installing the Connector.
    • I found a solution to the Connector re-installation problem here: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09a41a60-1696-4341-85f8-a1373a46082e/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-whs-connector-install?forum=whs2011&prof=required Creating a folder named "Windows Server" in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows allowed the installation to complete in my Windows 10 that had been upgraded in place and then had the anniversary update. The Connector was still working after the anniversary update, but Lights-Out wasn't, so I needed to re-install. I was getting the installation error described above until I created the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server
    • What exactly did you do? Did you set up the shares as read for everyone then NTFS permissions for those with read/write? This is what I am currently struggling with. Trying to find the best setup for my Win10 shares.
    • The experience I have had with Storage Spaces has not been good. I had a disk go bad and even though I had redundant storage set up, the system did not rebuild all the stored folders completely and I had to resort to other backups that I kept on another server. Note that Storage Space data is not recoverable if the system goes bad. Drivepool still has the files fully readable just like the old duplication system in WHS V1. 
    • I get the above error dialogue when I run the connector on my Win 10 pro client.  Followed the issue resolution on TechNet which say start cert service in IIS on server but this was already running.   I've downloaded the Win 10 connector with no joy also.   Please help.
  • Popular Contributors