Recovering Whs

1 post in this topic

Posted · Report post

The primary hard drive on my WHS v1.1 HP EX495 is dying. The server will boot up, but it shutsdown uncontrollably. I ran chkdsk and it found and corrected errors, but the shutdown problem persists so I’m ready to move on. I have several options and I’m looking for advice regarding the best option.

1. Slave the 1 GB primary drive to Win7 then take a Ghost image of the defective drive. Slave a new 1 GB drive to Win7 and restore the Ghost image. Put restored drive back into the EX495. (Any MS Product Activation issues?)
  2. Replace the 1 GB primary drive with another then install WHS v1.1
  3. Replace the 1 GB primary drive with another then install WHS 2011 and DriveBender v1.2.
  4. Replace the 1 GB primary drive with a 750 GB drive that already has WHS v1.0 installed. This drive would come from an unopened HP EX485 so I don’t know if there would be any driver issues or MS Product Activation issues.

I am open to suggestions from the knowledgeable forum.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Fujitsu 1900 Restore CDs
      By thechief55 · Posted
      Hello guys I am new to this forum I have just bought a used Scaleo 1900 without restore CDs. I have tried the links to Fujitsu Support in order to obtain lates restore CDs in this topic http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/12592-want-to-restore-a-scaleo-15001900-already-have-please-read/ but to no success. Is it possible for someone to share an ISO image of the restore CDs for WHS 2008, I would be very grateful. Cheers
    • RAID 5 on the Motherboard and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application
      By erlewis · Posted
      My guess is the Intel tool wants to manage it's own RAID.  I've seen so many posts over the years here and there complaining about hardware RAID that I tend to skip over the BIOS RAID options now.
    • RAID 5 on the Motherboard and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application
      By Spaatz · Posted
      Greetings, I followed this guide (great by the way) to completion, using almost identical components and opted for the RAID 5 option to pool my 9TBs of disks into a 6TB RAID 5.  I opted to configure the RAID drives at the motherboard level using the BIOS.   I followed the directions to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application that runs in the background but have noticed that it reports errors of an incompatible SATA Array.  Is this because I didn't use the Intel Tool to configure RAID at the outset or a problem with the app?  Is my data safe on the drive? Love the manual.  I am building my second now using the same specs and would like to know if I should even install Intel's little tool or not again.
    • new server build - hdd choice
      By dazza666 · Posted
      Hello all  It's time to upgrade my server; I currently have a WHS v1setup, based around a tranquil PC 5 bay WHS v1 box, which has been mostly excellent, but due to the the limitation of 2TB HDD with V1. I have ended up with various USB expansion drives and its got to the point where its time to upgrade to a new system, at this point its not worth considering V2 of the home server software. The new set up is around a Windows 10 storage spaces & 4 bay HP microserver. I wanted to load up the Microserver with seagate's 8TB HDD, but after reading about the performance of this HDD i'm not so sure if I should choose a different drive as my boot drive Does anyone have any recommendations? I was considering a WD Red 5TB as the boot drive - but should I be looking at something else?
    • Windows 10 Server Not Suspend
      By Lamplugh · Posted
      Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been trying out a number of options all to no avail. As Andrew suggested I have disabled Wake on Pattern Match, (It was previously enabled.) The Power Power Management options were already ticked, so I have tried unticking them all waiting 24 hours and then reticking. Wake on Magic Packet is currently enabled, I don't know if I should change that. I don't seem to have the Shutdown Wake on Lan option but I do have WOL & Shutdown Link Speed which is set to 10 Mbs First. I still feel it is some W10 feature as the new system seems dead keen on talking to Microsoft at every opportunity. I have obviously tried to switch as many of these off as I know about. Any suggestion welcome as I don't really want my server on effectively 24/7.