Splashtop Remote Desktop

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is a program that I have running on my Win7 desktop right now that allows me access from my ASUS transfromer tablet (Android 3.2). Wondering if anyone has tried this on a WHS2011 box as a remote head?

I am in the process of building my first WHS and am just thinking out loud.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

love this app. gottit on my htc sensation. works fine on my whs 2011 and two win 7 pc's

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

love this app. gottit on my htc sensation. works fine on my whs 2011 and two win 7 pc's

How did the install go? Are you using the HD version or the standard one? Was there any gymnastics involved to get it on the WHS box?

Posted · Report post

I also have this running on a Win7 Pro PC, as well as my WHS2011 PC. Access from my VZW Galaxy Nexus works great!! No issues with the install, or with any part of the program or OS.

Posted · Report post

I also have this running on a Win7 Pro PC, as well as my WHS2011 PC. Access from my VZW Galaxy Nexus works great!! No issues with the install, or with any part of the program or OS.

This is my first WHS install so I have no idea how to install this as an add in. Do I have to put a monitor on the whs box to install. I can 't seem to do it from the dashboard.

You have this running on the server itself right? I have it working on my Win7 PC fine but wanted to use this as a way of having a head on the server.

Can you give me some more detail on exactly how to get this on the addins panel? I have the .exe on the server in the documents folder right now.

Posted · Report post

Got it installed this weekend. Did end up needing a head on the WHS to do the install and then it runs like its on a PC. doesn't show up in the add ins window. Just runs and works!

Posted · Report post

Got it installed this weekend. Did end up needing a head on the WHS to do the install and then it runs like its on a PC. doesn't show up in the add ins window. Just runs and works!

Out of curiosity, could you have installed it via RDC? This is how I've been installing add-ins so far and it's worked just fine. I just connect to the server via the RDC client on my Win7 laptop and voila! instant desktop.

Posted · Report post

I have been using my Transformer to remote into my WHS for a while. Seems to work fine although I do find the touch-screen interface a bit tricky when accessing certain thinks like lights-out settings. I just use it if I want to check something on the server from my living room so I don't need to go to my office. However if I want to do something serious I prefer to have keyboard and mouse access from a PC.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• HP ex475 revival
      By Sodonnell8p · Posted
      I recently pulled out my old ex475, slapped in a fresh hd and booted upup. It went right into a recovery mode and then got to this point and stopped. What's my next step? This is a screenshot direct from a debug port vga connection.
    • Does WHS Launchpad need to be running to monitor?
      By KenV99 · Posted
      Hi, I am running WHS2011 and would like to know if in order for a Win10 or Win7 computer to appear in the uptime chart, if only using 'WHS Computers' as a Monitored Source (and not IP), does the computer need to have WHS Launchpad running? The connector is installed on all computers, but I prefer to not run the launchpad on my HTPC. Thanks.
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By darkarn · Posted
      Hi guys, after months of looking around for a better home (or mostly personal depending how you look at it  ) storage solution, I have decided to go ahead with a N54L! Here's what I have planned for and prepared so far with some background details on my use cases and setup:   Current Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Backup: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a shared PC. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 network drives over the home network (i.e. PC to router, router to laptop). Router: Asus RT-AC66U (All drives above are formatted in NTFS)   Planned Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a N54L. (N54L to switch, switch to laptop, switch to router) Backup: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Router: Asus RT-AC66U (Not sure if should stick with NTFS due to OS choice in the N54L. I prefer not to reformat if possible.)   Use Cases
      1. Storing my data in my HDDs and being able to access them (i.e. NAS) (High priority) 2. Monitoring HDD health with real-time alerts (High priority) 3. Media streaming (in home network mostly, but if can be done ) (Medium priority) 4. Production server for web projects e.t.c. (LAMP setup maybe?) (Medium priority) 5. Media transcoding (then again, I think my devices can handle untranscoded stuff...?) (Low priority)
      6. Creating an environment where I can learn the usage and deployment of servers for fun and for career (yes, I know, this sounds naive at best...) (??? priority)   Items to Get/Prepare N54L itself (need to choose between 250GB HDD/2GB RAM and 500GB HDD/4GB RAM) DDNS Hostname for router (done!) Switch Thumbdrive with OS and BIOS mod if need be (need to decide OS first) Extra Ethernet cables for the setup   Questions Despite looking around at many forums, I am still having some doubts and questions in planning and preparing its deployment. So, I need help in understanding more of the following: 1. Should I be expecting slower read/write speeds than my USB 3.0 connection but faster than those HDDs in the PC? (Expectations) 2. What should I take note of in maintaining such servers instead of my current setup? (Expectations) 3. Will a unmanaged switch do? (Hardware) 4. What PCIe cards should I prepare for? (Hardware) 5. Will I need dual NICs? (Hardware) 6. Will I need an USB 3.0 card on the N54L, or should I just use the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop? (Hardware) 7. Which OS I should go for? Or will hypervisors (i.e. ESXi) be more suited for my use cases? (Amahi, Ubuntu, WHS/Windows 8 are my top choices currently) (Software) 8. If I were to go for a hypervisor, what should I look out for? (Expectations/Software)     I hope this is not too much... Thanks!
    • Mac Client Error 500 Lights-Out Agent Preferences
      By Timmy1 · Posted
      I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling the application, removing the app from IIS then reinstalling.
    • WHS replacement device
      By fasttimes · Posted
      Longtime WHS user, in fact still on V1. Now that Windows 10 won't support a connector, are there any NAS devices that will give me the same simplicity that WHS provides for backup like the connector and over network restore? Will a device that runs Windows Storage Server give me the same functionality?  I'd love some recommendations to backup the OS of 4-5 machines at a sub 1k price