jatrax

Windows Home Server Continously Changing Metadata

7 posts in this topic

I recently moved my pictures from a Linux NAS to a Windows Home Server 2011 machine. Since doing so Lightroom 3.6 continously reports that the metadata was changed externally. Writing metadata to the files manually from Lightroom makes the error go away for a short time and then it reappears. You can actually watch the error pop up on each picture as something changes the files.

Something is writing to the metadata after I save from Lightroom. My assumption, due to the change in file servers is that it is something Windows Home Server is doing but I cannot find any information related to that. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to stop it?

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Turn off metadata updating. Open the dashboard, go to server settings -> media, and deselect "Retrieve additional information from the Internet".

Thanks for the response, unfortunately that was already turned off. The install included a questions to that regard and I answered no. When I started having the problem with picture files I assumed this was the problem and checked, it is un-checked. I also noticed that media server is turned on, so I turned that off thinking it might affect things. Manually overwrote the picture metadata and and all the errors dissappeared. But within 30 seconds the errors appeared again, one at a time as something worked its way through the files again.

This is driving me nuts...

Do you have a keyboard and monitor connected to your WHS machine? If so, turn off all client machines and log onto the server, and look at the pictures/metadata and see if they change. You could also check the server logs to see if there are any informational events that look out of the ordinary.

Yes, keyboard and monitor. I watched the files but cannot really see anything happening. To be honest not sure what to watch for. Logs do not show anything odd.

This happens immediately after a file is changed and once the external program changes it then nothing happens. If I make a change in Lightroom, within seconds something external makes a change as well which then conflicts with Lightroom. Is there an indexing service that would set something within a file to indicate it has been indexed? Or perhaps a backup service of some type?

There is indeed a service or some such that edits metadata. I believe there was a recent update that fixes that.

There is indeed a service or some such that edits metadata. I believe there was a recent update that fixes that.

Drashna - that's different metadata. What jatrax is talking about is the IPTC/XMP metadata contained in image files (JPEGs). What the recent update from Microsoft was for was to fix a process that updated metadata in audio files (ID2 and ID3 tags)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Alf_fr
      Hi,

Since a few days, I cannot access my whs throught web access : whenever I use domain name *.homeserver.com or IP, I get a certificate error : the certificate has been revoked.
      When I look at the iis certificate, the homeserver certificate (given by godaddy) is out of date.
      It seemed to me that it was automatically renewed. Did I miss something ?
      Thanks in advance !
    • By Richyroo
      Hello,
      Sever novice here I'm afraid. I've recently been getting the below error and have no idea what it means or how to solve it, despite its advice. My CrashPlan service which backs up the server to the cloud is also not working currently and I'm wondering if the two are linked. Hardware = new HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9

DFSR Event ID: 2147485861 The DFS Replication service stopped replication on volume C:.
      This occurs when a DFSR JET database is not shut down cleanly
      and Auto Recovery is disabled. To resolve this issue, back up
      the files in the affected replicated folders, and then use the
      ResumeReplication WMI method to resume replication.

Additional Information:

Volume: C:

GUID: 34869E7A-967B-4765-AE39-820525C75E66

Recovery Steps

1. Back up the files in all replicated folders on the volume.
      Failure to do so may result in data loss due to unexpected
      conflict resolution during the recovery of the replicated folders.

2. To resume the replication for this volume, use the WMI method
      ResumeReplication of the DfsrVolumeConfig class.
      For example, from an elevated command prompt, type the following command:

wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where
      volumeGuid="34869E7A-967B-4765-AE39-820525C75E66" call ResumeReplication

For more information, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2663685.
    • By beech2000
      Hi All,
      First post for me…. I have been viewing you all for a while and a huge fan. I've learned a lot and for the most part fix most or all of my Networking, PC problems and computer related issues. And so thanks for having me.
      We love our Aspire-H340 and now especially love it more due to Tonido (Personal Cloud) installed and up and running. We are an iPhone family but not an apple family. Does that make sense? Guess I'm to much of a control freak to switch to Apple.
      Tonido allows us all (6 to be exact) to store pictures, view pictures, upload, download and view small videos without using iCloud or a pay service. All wrapped up neatly in the same directory structure as if we were home. Plus I won't mention 4 TB of storage for free but just did.
      So to the point.
      I have the opportunity to get an academic copy of windows server essentials 2012 R2 with 5 user licenses for $200.
      Since the installation of Tonido on the H340 I keep receiving Indexing errors causing WHS Console to report them to me with specific failing hard drive. Tonido is unsupported in WHS so I alone in the web troubleshooting steps. I am thinking it’s the way Tonido handles moving files to and from is doing strange things to WHS Console causing the error not sure though. BTW HDD not failing it just needed repair via WHS console and now all is fine.
      So, Can it be done? Can I install Server Essentials 2012 R2 on the H340? Is it feasible or should I just build another box that would run the server software better?? I read on one of the forum threads where a break out cable would be required to get video. I tried installing a video card into the PCIx16 slot but monitor won't power up. (Yes video card was tested and it works) but won't work on the WHS-H340.
      Thoughts?
      Kevin
    • By Gammit10
      I have been having issues with windows media player network service on my windows home server machine. I continually get the following error:
      Faulting application name: wmpnetwk.exe, version: 12.0.7601.17514
      Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247
      Exception code: 0xc0000374
      Faulting offset: 0x000000000000c4102
      Faulting process id: 0x149c
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows|system32\ntdll.dll

(I believe) as a result, I cannot successfully access my home server from my Xbox 360, or new DLNA-certified Samsung Blu ray player.

I have tried to run sfc /scannow and it finds no problems. I have verified the service has started and is set to automatically start at boot. I have restarted the server.

Help!
    • By akula
      Firstly, The server could not be detected at all so I had to edit HOSTS file to add the following line:
      192.168.0.21 ASPIREHOME

now the server is detected but I have the following problem:

I get to the screen where it says "Home Computer Wake Up"
      "Do you want to automatically wake up this computer to back it up"

with a yes or no option..
      It does not matter which option I choose YES or NO, - the Window freezes up then about 3-4 minutes later I get the following error message "An unknown network error has occurred.
      Please verify that your network connection is active and that your Windows Home Server is powered on. Then restart this Wizard."

as an aside, I also put the server in DMZ mode in my router settings.

any advice would be greatly apperciated!

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• So I currently have Windows Server 2012 Essentials (running in a Hyper-V VM) and am thinking about migrating to a Windows 10 server. I have 12 disks or so on the server all configured via Storage spaces. Can I simply connect these disks up to a Windows 10 install and have all the files appear? From what I have read the storage space info is all on the disks and it should work, but has anyone here actually tried it and succeeded. I have 10+ TB of data and the easiest way to get it to the new server would be to just connect the disks up.   Thanks, -Bill
    • Did you try CC cleaner or a disk clean up program? It seems to me that old files merged or not are still existing, do you have external storage that you could export the known good files to while you reformat and clean the 6TB?
    • Hello Is it possible to clone an external HDD containing the server backup to another external HDD? The external HDD doesn't have a drive letter, so how can I clone the drive?  I have two external drives in a Dual Dockingstation (2 drives), which has a button to clone from A to B, but I don't trust that solution too much..
    • I have a whs 2011 server, which has been running fine for years, however since I have updated the client pc's to windows 10 anniversary edition I am constantly getting a services not running error on clients, having checked the services, all are in the correct state, I have tried restarting some of the obvious ones, but with no success. if I select the fix option in the alert list for the error, it clears, but then returns after 20 mins or so. Not sure what to do next to solve this.
    • well it took a great deal of time but the repair made it possible for the cleanup to go pass the 14% strange however is that even though I told it to delete all the bad backups and merge the good ones it did not clear up any of the disk space. And adding all the good merge backup sizes together shows there should be the normal 6Tb free available. So the failed backups are gone the good backups are all merged but the disk space remains at 212 Mb. not sure how to tackle this I am going to look at it again this next weekend to see if I missed something.
  • Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.