Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
britgeezer

Dashboard Works Launchpad Doesn't!

10 posts in this topic

New WHS install previously using for a long time, all seems to work except Launchpad.

Green sign on screen comes up requesting user name and password, I type the PC name (as seen in dashboard) and the admin password (the only one I ever provided) but it refuses with name or password error. All 3 stations (W7-64) have the same issue. No add-ins installed.

I tried name as Admin, blank (no good) and no password but no luck - what am I missing.

In dashboard under users there is just Guest since no PC is logged in. I can access the shared drives, backups are being made and can run Dashboard from all PC's but I can't run Launchpad.

Any Ideas?

I do have homegroup turned on.

thanks

BG

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

First set up your users. The Launchpad uses user accounts, not PC names...

1 person likes this

Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.

1 person likes this

Ooops thanks, I don't recall having to do that before (create the account) but it did the trick. :rolleyes:

Access is the same for all except for guest and I don't use that feature so is homegroup a real concern for me? If I get any access rights issues thanks for the tip to turn it off

Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.

You were correct, Homegroups made things confusing.

Have originally created my use shares manually and then adding the user account properly also seemed to cause issues, so I deleted the user accounts in dashboard manually removed any trace of them on the server and then rebooted before add the user accounts in dashboard.

Only problem is that although the user accounts were created, their name shares are not showing. At this point is it OK to add them manually?

thanks you have helped me out big time was wondering what was going wrong for me lol :)

My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean that when you click the "Shared Folders" link in the Launchpad, then in the Windows Explorer window that opens, you don't see an "Add-ins" folder?

If so, then that's quite correct. WHS 2011 does not have an Add-ins shared folder set up by default. You're thinking of WHS v1, which did.

Add-ins are installed quite differently in WHS 2011 from how they were installed in WHS v1.

In WHS v1, you had to put the Add-in installation file into the Add-ins folder on the server.

For WHS 2011, you run the installation file directly from one of your client PCs, and it will install the Add-in on the WHS 2011 server.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Like I said, you won't get the combined (aggregate) bandwidth to a single destination.   Torrenting makes multiple outgoing and can receive multiple incoming connections to and from multiple seeders and leechers (behaving more like the load-balanced scenario) in the best-case scenario, so it's one of the few applications that scale fairly well with WAN load-balancing, and if you're just downloading data, the torrent application can reassemble the whole torrent from the randomly received chunks from each seeder.  Torrent was almost designed to benefit from WAN load-balancing because of the way the P2P network was conceived. ...but that wouldn't work for streaming media or online gaming or VoIP where there's no mechanism to deal with out-of-order packets being sent and received, or the fact that it's still asymmetrically routed -- in that instance, you're still limited to the bandwidth of a single connection, you can just make more of them at a time on different paths.   802.3ad or LACP (Dynamic Link Aggregation) requires switching and routing hardware that's also LACP-compliant in order for it to work, but in that case, would be more like the aforementioned ISP IMUX connection than WAN load-balancing.   Your SpeedTest results are probably from burstable traffic over one connection, because a single SpeedTest run will only use one connection during the course of that test run, which is why it only shows a single public IP address. Sustained bandwidth testing with something like iPerf will show a more accurate picture.   Speedify would pretty much have to be tunneling all traffic as the "first hop" and reassembling traffic before going back out to the public Internet so that their VPN endpoint becomes your new public IP address out on the Internet; in essence becoming an ISP over an ISP -- if that's what it's actually doing.  While that may solve one issue, it would probably cause a drastic increase in latency to do so, and I doubt it would support streaming media very well.
    • Hi, Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean but then that's like having 2 DC's having DHCP to issue IP in case one goes down, so both DHCP scopes would have to issue same IP address to same client or they would run out of addresses. But anyway thanks for clarifying, I was getting really frustrated about not being able to solve this because I was understanding that the clients would not leave the network when the DC is down and authentication takes place at RODC. Thanks a lot.
    • Well your right and wrong at the same time, i tested the idea using a tp-link loadbalancer and while kt didnt work on websites, for torrents/netflex it worked perefctly simple messirment's of speeds on speedtest.net got me the combined speeds as well and thats without using the 802.3ad protocol which from what i been reading makes it works perfectly long story short, even if i am not able to use the "full pipe" in all applications, it make hell of a diffrance from the plain single connection   note: i think that adding a vpn layer will even solve the multipath problem, thats what speedify and others are doing to get the combined speed
    • Yeah, mine stopped working also, but this time the communicator would allow connection to the server.
      But the automated backups were not occurring. I had to re-setup the folders associated with the computer "Customize Backup For This Computer" and then the automated backups worked again. Apparently there is an option for an anniversary clean install. Then install the connector.
      I think that would be the best option. But definitely a pain in the butt. Let us know how it goes.
      Shane
      Sydney, Australia      
    • Depends on what your storage requirements are going to be.   I personally favor RAID-10 (mirrored stripe) arrays because of the lack of a need for parity, but it's not particularly storage efficient, and with your current setup, you'd have only 4TBs (3.63TiBs) of storage space available (half of an 8TB stripe due to mirroring), in which a minimum 160GBs of that 4TBs is used for the C: drive if you partition the volume during installation. WIth 4 disks, you could do RAID-5, which would give you 6TBs (5.4TiBs) of storage space (because 2TBs is used for RAID stripe parity), but then there's the parity performance penalty and the higher risk of an unrecoverable read error (URE) killing your array and losing your data if you're not using enterprise drives.   ...or you could try Storage Spaces, I guess.
  • Popular Contributors