Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
britgeezer

Dashboard Works Launchpad Doesn't!

10 posts in this topic

New WHS install previously using for a long time, all seems to work except Launchpad.

Green sign on screen comes up requesting user name and password, I type the PC name (as seen in dashboard) and the admin password (the only one I ever provided) but it refuses with name or password error. All 3 stations (W7-64) have the same issue. No add-ins installed.

I tried name as Admin, blank (no good) and no password but no luck - what am I missing.

In dashboard under users there is just Guest since no PC is logged in. I can access the shared drives, backups are being made and can run Dashboard from all PC's but I can't run Launchpad.

Any Ideas?

I do have homegroup turned on.

thanks

BG

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

First set up your users. The Launchpad uses user accounts, not PC names...

1 person likes this

Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.

1 person likes this

Ooops thanks, I don't recall having to do that before (create the account) but it did the trick. :rolleyes:

Access is the same for all except for guest and I don't use that feature so is homegroup a real concern for me? If I get any access rights issues thanks for the tip to turn it off

Oh - and I wouldn't turn the Homegroup on in the Server, if I were you. Not if you want to have different access rights per user. Homegroups and individual user access rights don't mix very well in WHS 2011.

You were correct, Homegroups made things confusing.

Have originally created my use shares manually and then adding the user account properly also seemed to cause issues, so I deleted the user accounts in dashboard manually removed any trace of them on the server and then rebooted before add the user accounts in dashboard.

Only problem is that although the user accounts were created, their name shares are not showing. At this point is it OK to add them manually?

thanks you have helped me out big time was wondering what was going wrong for me lol :)

My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

My lauchpad is missing the ADD ins folder on all my computers what must be the problem. Also my launchpad keeps displaying the error "an Add in could not be installed".

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here. Do you mean that when you click the "Shared Folders" link in the Launchpad, then in the Windows Explorer window that opens, you don't see an "Add-ins" folder?

If so, then that's quite correct. WHS 2011 does not have an Add-ins shared folder set up by default. You're thinking of WHS v1, which did.

Add-ins are installed quite differently in WHS 2011 from how they were installed in WHS v1.

In WHS v1, you had to put the Add-in installation file into the Add-ins folder on the server.

For WHS 2011, you run the installation file directly from one of your client PCs, and it will install the Add-in on the WHS 2011 server.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• I've got the same problem and used that utility C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\WHSOOBE.exe. It continue the server installation from entering server name, password, password hint and etc...
    • I used the database repair and clean up that are part of WHS program under settings (2nd photo). I have placed an order for two 2tb external hard drive to connect to my system so I can select to remove the drives one at a time from the system to do a reformat on each to check them. They will be here in a week if that does not work I plan to delete all the existing backups and starting with a new backup of the 2 computers connected to it. It will probably take a while as my current setup (1st photo) is the original 500 gig boot drive that original came with it and 3 internal 2 tb hard drives  plus a 4 slot esata system each with a 2 tb drive and 2 usb 2 tb plus the 2 I am going to be adding so the current total backup capacity is 16.83 Tb with me adding another 4tb. So it may be a while before I can get through all the drives. Will report back how I make out once I am done. If anyone knows a quicker way feel free to let me know. 
    • Hi guys. Resurrecting this thread, as we're coming up on 3 years...and well, life got in the way and I never managed to do any upgrades. I guess the good news is my HP LX195 is still humming as-is. I've since migrated most of my family's data (wife, 5 kids) to their OneDrive accounts, and cross-shared their drives with each other so it's a virtual home network out in the cloud. Not the fastest performance but it beats worrying about backups. Essentially now the only thing I rely on the WHS v1 box for is its Whiist add-in. We still to this day reference our old FrontPage-created family website with pages of the kids' growing up. I'm not into Farcebook or social networking so don't plan to migrate that anywhere anytime soon. QUESTION then - I was thinking of using these holiday discounts to buy a small workstation (again) to do some of the "faster" type of local filesharing we need (photo editing, etc.) But - is there any current Whiist-like solution (basic webserver tools) available in Windows 10, or even Windows 2012/2016 Essentials that I can migrate the directories to? Advice appreciated. Thanks and glad to be back... ENV  
    • What do I need to know? I'm just so tired of all the stupid Windows irritating nonsense and want something that just works without my constant attention.  I currently run WSE2012R2 + Stablebit Drivepool with 3x4TB drives (WD Reds) and external backups on a Supermicro MB w/Core i3 with 20 GB Ram. OS is on a 128 SSD.  I run the drives on a SCSI card and it just decided to not boot off theSSD the other day, so I connected it back to the MB port. I only have one laptop, one desktop that get backed up and the DT one is always failing. I uninstall the connector, reinstall, blah, blah , blah... it  works for a while and then fails again. This makes the Client backups worthless.   I have some gremlin the hardware that causes it to reboot all the damn time, or maybes its SW, dunno.  I thought it was heat and confirmed all fans work, drives are not overheating, no smart errors.  Might be one of my external eSata boxes, not sure.  My server hardware is from 2011, so getting a bit old, but still works. WSE dashboard crashes all the time. I'm tired of looking at logs to fix it.  I want/need NAS (Synologoy) to work with Plex via a Roku.  I also use a Squeezebox (2), but they are failing and I am about to give up on them for music streaming.  I also use Chromecast in the house.  So I guess Plex for both music and movies/videos is the plan.   Also, want the NAS to work with security cameras.  Which Synology Do I get?  I think I want a 4 drive minimum unit. Do I need a 'Play' one, or not?  What else? I have plenty of hard drives. I can budget $1K if needed, but half that sounds better to me.        
    • so is there anything listed anywhere for addins? I just cant find anything on google.
  • Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.