tsawicki

Help: Wd 3Tb Drive Only Showing As 700Gb (Not 2.1Tb)

5 posts in this topic

I just got the WD 3TB Green HD and when I put it into my 49x HP it only showed up as 700GB instead of 2.1TB. Any ideas as to why or what I should do to access at least the 2.1TB (going to try the 3TB WHS hacks).

Many thanks in advance for any advice,

Todd

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

If it's v1, then it's not supported by the server. Period.

At best, you'd have to do the "GPT hack".... which is more complicated than it should be ( go microsoft for screwing us over because they want to format as MBR only, and not GPT!)

https://spackle.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/going-for-3tb-in-whs-v1/

WHS2011 supports it just fine, if you delete all the partitions, and convert it to GPT, and then create a partition.

Drashna - thanks for responding - I know that 3TB isn't supported natively.  My issue is for whatever reason the 3TB Western Digital drive isn't showing 2.1TB as it should - instead it shows a capacity of only 746GB.  I thought I found someone who discussed this issue but can't find it again.  Hoping someone recalls the issue (HD driver?).

Thanks!

Is this what you are looking for?

That's the "expected" result with the MBR disks over 2TBs. It divides them up like that and mis-reports the size.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Server reinstall - now cannot log in
      By ixnay
      My X510 would not connect suddenly and was unresponsive.  After a couple of hard resets I got the red health light on, so tried to do a restore. This did not work so I figured it somehow could not see the disks, so I took them out and put a new spare disk in and went through the restore procedure again. This time it worked and all looked good. Now to reinstall connector software on my PC. So it found it okay and downloaded the bits it needed, then asked for the password. What? Have not set one yet.
      Now I have a box saying An error occured. This operation cannot be completed at this time. I have tried the old password - which it cannot be as I did a restore, and blank, and admin 0- nothing works. I have a fresh install that I cannot connect to. I have spent all afternoon on this and am out of ideas.
      Help, please?

• The "Holy Grail": WMC on 2011 servers, now is possible !!!
      By The Solutor
      Hi.

First message here just to inform you that i managed to get finally working (fully working) WMC on Vail.

So tink twice before thinking to upgrade to something else.

Details here

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/65614-The-Holy-Grail-WMC-on-Windows-Home-Server-2011-it-s-possible-now-!!!!

• HP MediaSmart EX470
      By Doug McDermott
      Anyone know of a modern day use for HP MediaSmart EX470 hardware?  I have an old HP MediaSmart EX470.  The hardware is fine, but I can no longer connect to the console because my wife destroyed the old Vista computer I was using and all of my remaining computers are Windows 10.  Since the hardware is fine, I would like to re-use it if possible.  I'm primarily interested in using it as a music server to connect to Sonos, and a video/photo server to connect to playstation and other computers around the house.  The original backup functionality was nice, but I don't need that anymore.  Does anyone know of a way to rebuild these things for modern day use?  Windows 10 compatible use?
    • WHS suspending whilst PC's are active
      By Tulserv
      Hi, I have Lights Out installed on a WHS 2012 R2 Essentials and a Windows 8.1 PC and Win 7 laptop. I have the agents installed on both machines with the options within Lights Out to monitor shares and PC's. However the WHS seems to sleep after around 45 mins (see screenshot below which shows pattern) of being on even if I am reading/writing files to the server. I have the default action as suspend after 60 mins in Lights Out which I assume suspends the WHS if there is no active connected PC after this time.
      Please could someone advise how I solve this as it is making LIghts Out effectively pointless and frustrating. I have all power options in WHS set to never so I know it is not this.
      Screenshot below shows that the server was switched on at 9:17.55 and then was forced to suspend at 10:02.34 despite the PC accessing the WHS.

Many thanks
    • Bare Metal Backup WHS v1 - Wizard Cannot Find my Home Server
      By NTrouble
      Hi All:
      I am having an issue with completing a bare metal restore using WHS v1 and would like to tap into your collective wisdom.
      I have a Lenovo T430 laptop running the Windows 7 (64). The HDD just failed, and I have installed a new HDD of the same size and brand.  i have an eight day old image of the old drive that I would like to install onto the new drive.
      When I boot from the WHS client restore disk, the wizard cannot find the home server. I have copied the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" onto a USB drive and uploaded them.  The wizard still cannot find the home server.  I am assuming that I am missing the driver for the network card on the T430.
      In reviewing these threads on the topic, i have seen a file that was compiled by Drashna mentioned, but i am unable to locate it.
      Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?  I would appreciate any suggestions. Please type slowly.  I was a history major and not all that technical.
      Thanks,
      nT