Win8 Server And Robocopy Logs

2 posts in this topic


I "upgraded" from WHS 211 to Windows 8 and now have troubles with Robocopy. Researching online shows that older versions of Robocopy tend to copy unchanged files while using the /MIR switch. The new version  of Robocopy (6.2) bundled with Windows 8 seems to work, but the log file is horribly messed up.  Anyone have an idea?


command lines:


robocopy.exe "D:\test" "F:\Backups\test" /MIR "/log:test.txt" /V
"old robocopy.exe" "D:\test" "F:\Backups\test2" /MIR "/log:test2.txt" /V

Examples of the log files:

Older version:


   ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows     ::     Version XP010
  Started : Thu Jan 17 08:51:47 2013
   Source : D:\test\
     Dest : F:\Backups\test2\
    Files : *.*
  Options : *.* /V /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1000000 /W:30 
 New Dir          3 D:\test\
   New File    488425 Picture 008.JPG
   New File     31789 Picture 050.JPG
   New File    613894 Picture 141.JPG
                Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
     Dirs :         1         1         0         0         0         0
    Files :         3         3         0         0         0         0
    Bytes :    1.08 m    1.08 m         0         0         0         0
    Times :   0:00:00   0:00:00                       0:00:00   0:00:00
    Speed :            10310072 Bytes/sec.
    Speed :             589.947 MegaBytes/min.
    Ended : Thu Jan 17 08:51:47 2013
New version 6.2:


   *.* /V /S /E /DCOPY:DA /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1000000 /W:30 D:\test\Picture 008.JPGPicture 050.JPGPicture 141.JPG                              1      1 0 0 0 0       3      3 0 0 0 0  1.08 m 1.08 m 0 0 0 0                                           

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.


I have built a w 8 system with whs 2011 running in a virtual machine. I used Robocopy to move files from the server video directory to the w8 video folder so I could play the files in meda center in the w8 machine. But after the Robocopy runs the file permissions changed in the source server folder. I finally gave up on the move and just went with the copy only and the source folders permissions didn't change. I don't have a solution for you, but I have something going on here with Robocopy I don't understand either.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • DataRisk - Data Risk Management Tool
      By mediadogg
      [font='times new roman']The purpose of this program is to provide, in one place, a set of tools for helping to keep track of the risks associated with data backup strategies. [/font]

      [size=4][font='times new roman']An ad-hoc risk assessment is determined, based primarily on the number and location of copies of your data. Tools are provided for capturing and saving the server location of your data folders and automating the running of scripts that make backup copies of the data.[/font][/size]
      [size=4][font='times new roman']Other tools are provided for burning copies of data on optical media, and for keeping track (audit) of when copies have been made and where they are located. Extensive Help is built-in, including a detailed “Hit and Tips” section where the author’s shares aspects of his many years of experience in handling and protecting data in the home environment. [/font]

      [font='times new roman']DataRisk makes it easy to collect and maintain a list of all your data sources and shared folders in a spreadsheet format. Once collected, it is possible to use the spreadsheet to keep track of backup operations and to selected various folders to be used in automated script operations. It is possible to use you own custom scripts, or to use pre-defined templates for Microsoft RoboCopy, Microsoft RichTools and the third-party program Beyond Compare ™, the author’s favorite data copy program. (Disclaimer: the author has no interest or investment in Beyond Compare – just deep respect and admiration for its capabilities and quality). [/font]
      [font='times new roman']DataRisk computes a subjective assessment of the risk of losing a data folder based on the number of online, offline, optical and off-site copies:[/font][/size][list]
      [*][size=4][color=#FF0000][font='times new roman']High Risk (red color):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] only one online copy of the data.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#ffcc00][font='times new roman']Moderate Risk (yellow):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] more than one copy online, but no off-site or optical copy.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#00b050][font='times new roman']Low Risk, Lower Risk (light green):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] off-line and /or optical copies, but no off-site copy.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#00863d][font='times new roman']Lowest Risk (dark green):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] More than one online, at least one offline / optical and at least one off-site copy.[/font][/size]
      [size=4]A Basic (free) version is available [url=""]here[/url], and a Pro (fee) version is available [url=""]here[/url].

      A brief [url=""]User Guide[/url] is available, and more detailed usage information is provided in the buil-in product Help.[/size]