Win8 Server And Robocopy Logs

2 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I "upgraded" from WHS 211 to Windows 8 and now have troubles with Robocopy. Researching online shows that older versions of Robocopy tend to copy unchanged files while using the /MIR switch. The new version  of Robocopy (6.2) bundled with Windows 8 seems to work, but the log file is horribly messed up.  Anyone have an idea?

command lines:

robocopy.exe "D:\test" "F:\Backups\test" /MIR "/log:test.txt" /V
"old robocopy.exe" "D:\test" "F:\Backups\test2" /MIR "/log:test2.txt" /V

Examples of the log files:

Older version:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows     ::     Version XP010
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Thu Jan 17 08:51:47 2013

Source : D:\test\
     Dest : F:\Backups\test2\

Files : *.*

Options : *.* /V /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1000000 /W:30 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Dir          3 D:\test\
   New File    488425 Picture 008.JPG
  0%  
 26%  
 53%  
 80%  
100%  
   New File     31789 Picture 050.JPG
  0%  
100%  
   New File    613894 Picture 141.JPG
  0%  
 42%  
 85%  
100%  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total    Copied   Skipped  Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
     Dirs :         1         1         0         0         0         0
    Files :         3         3         0         0         0         0
    Bytes :    1.08 m    1.08 m         0         0         0         0
    Times :   0:00:00   0:00:00                       0:00:00   0:00:00

Speed :            10310072 Bytes/sec.
    Speed :             589.947 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Thu Jan 17 08:51:47 2013

New version 6.2:

D:\test\F:\Backups\test\*.*
   *.* /V /S /E /DCOPY:DA /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /R:1000000 /W:30 D:\test\Picture 008.JPGPicture 050.JPGPicture 141.JPG                              1      1 0 0 0 0       3      3 0 0 0 0  1.08 m 1.08 m 0 0 0 0                                           

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

I have built a w 8 system with whs 2011 running in a virtual machine. I used Robocopy to move files from the server video directory to the w8 video folder so I could play the files in meda center in the w8 machine. But after the Robocopy runs the file permissions changed in the source server folder. I finally gave up on the move and just went with the copy only and the source folders permissions didn't change. I don't have a solution for you, but I have something going on here with Robocopy I don't understand either.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• DataRisk - Data Risk Management Tool
      By mediadogg
      [font='times new roman']The purpose of this program is to provide, in one place, a set of tools for helping to keep track of the risks associated with data backup strategies. [/font]

[size=4][font='times new roman']An ad-hoc risk assessment is determined, based primarily on the number and location of copies of your data. Tools are provided for capturing and saving the server location of your data folders and automating the running of scripts that make backup copies of the data.[/font][/size]
      [size=4][font='times new roman']Other tools are provided for burning copies of data on optical media, and for keeping track (audit) of when copies have been made and where they are located. Extensive Help is built-in, including a detailed “Hit and Tips” section where the author’s shares aspects of his many years of experience in handling and protecting data in the home environment. [/font]

[font='times new roman']DataRisk makes it easy to collect and maintain a list of all your data sources and shared folders in a spreadsheet format. Once collected, it is possible to use the spreadsheet to keep track of backup operations and to selected various folders to be used in automated script operations. It is possible to use you own custom scripts, or to use pre-defined templates for Microsoft RoboCopy, Microsoft RichTools and the third-party program Beyond Compare ™, the author’s favorite data copy program. (Disclaimer: the author has no interest or investment in Beyond Compare – just deep respect and admiration for its capabilities and quality). [/font]
      [font='times new roman']DataRisk computes a subjective assessment of the risk of losing a data folder based on the number of online, offline, optical and off-site copies:[/font][/size][list]
      [*][size=4][color=#FF0000][font='times new roman']High Risk (red color):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] only one online copy of the data.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#ffcc00][font='times new roman']Moderate Risk (yellow):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] more than one copy online, but no off-site or optical copy.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#00b050][font='times new roman']Low Risk, Lower Risk (light green):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] off-line and /or optical copies, but no off-site copy.[/font][/size]
      [*][size=4][color=#00863d][font='times new roman']Lowest Risk (dark green):[/font][/color][font='times new roman'] More than one online, at least one offline / optical and at least one off-site copy.[/font][/size]
      [/list]
      [size=4]A Basic (free) version is available [url="http://www.mediadogg.com/datarisk.html"]here[/url], and a Pro (fee) version is available [url="http://www.mediadogg.com/shopping/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=9"]here[/url].

A brief [url="http://www.mediadogg.com/shopping/downloads/drUG.pdf"]User Guide[/url] is available, and more detailed usage information is provided in the buil-in product Help.[/size]

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Temp Files Created By Server Backup
      By Dave Marchant (WGS) · Posted
      It sort of makes sense as the oldest tmp file corresponds to the oldest backup. I agree that it is not good design. I don't fancy a BSOD just at the moment as about to go away on holiday so need to have the server working reliably while I am away or I get no email  Could be one for the MVP's to feed back into Microsoft for a comment. 
      By glorp · Posted
      Thank you for confirming that Dave! I don't have the full gui installed so I couldn't do a Disk Cleanup on mine. I wondered if that would work to get rid of them. Guess not. I suspect they may be some kind of mount point for the vhd that is created right at the beginning of backup and deleting them causes havoc later when Server Backup tries to do incremental backups using the old mount point. My backups "exist" forever since they are on 1TB and in no danger of running out of space. It occurred to me that maybe they get deleted when a backup gets removed. In any case it's a pretty piss poor design to leave critical ".tmp" files in Windows\Temp if you ask me. If you really want to test things at your end, delete them In any case at least I know what has been causing the random BSODs I get every few months since I installed WSE2012 and what to do not to get them.  
    • Moving from V1 to Essentials
      Sorry, the backups are not compatible with WHS 2011 or any of the Server Essentials variants. There is no easy workaround either.  You don't give any indication in the spec of the V1 box so difficult to say whether Essentials will run on it. I beleive the limitation may possibly be RAM if you are thinking of one of the original HP Home Servers.    
    • Moving from V1 to Essentials
      By fasttimes · Posted
      So I have a new WSS box arriving tomorrow.  Are the backups made with V1 compatible with Essentials?  Is it possible to migrate them to the new box?  Any suggestions on what to do with the V1 box?  It it possible to load Essentials on it (legality aside)?
      Curious, I have just checked on my 2012E (not R2) and I also have a load of tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp. This is clearly a side effect of the Essentials server backup and I currently have 800 of them. The only space they will be taking up is slots in the directory files and so there is no danger of running out of disk space.  I am going to see if Disk Cleanup will tidy them up without messing up the server.  EDIT: Disk Cleanup doesn't seem to touch them - they are still there.