THZ

Server Backup Fails Due To Insufficent Disk Space - How To Clean Manually?

7 posts in this topic

Hello

For my Server 2012 Essentials, I backup the server manually ("Backup once") - since today I cannot backup any more as there is insufficient space on the external USB disk.

How can I free up space? If I ran "Backup Cleanup", nothing happens, the disk space on the HDD remains the same.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

I'm assuming you're backing up to the said external USB drive?

If so, I don't think there is a way to clean that.

What is the capacity of the disks that you are a backing up, and the of the backup drive?

Yes, I'm backing up to that external USB drive.

I even have 2 external drives, which I use alternately to backup to, I rotate them after each backup.

As I don't need automated backups, I followed your instructions in another post here and changed from regular backups to one time backups (backup once). But now the external USB drive is full, and - as you write - there unfortunately is no way to cleanup old backups.

I switched back to regular backups yesterday.

The capacity is: 120 GB OS disk, and 2 x 1 TB drives (but only 600 GB used at this moment, on all drives). The USB drive has 1.5 TB.

Aside from formatting, I'm not sure there is a way to "fix" them.

I think that if you're not setting up a schedule, each backup takes up additional space, rather than being incremental. And I think that's what is happening here.

Though, I'm not sure, and there isn't a good way to check.

Thank you! Yes, I think the only way is formatting.

And - it seemed to me that the updates weren't really incremental. They took more and more space.

I reverted back to scheduled backup. I did one full backup yesterday, and 2 incremental, which only took a few minutes. With these one time backups, each backup took 1 hour ore more.

If you're doing manual backups, they may not be incremental. I'm not sure, to be honest.

And as for the scheduled backups, I'm using a 2TB drive, which is backing up a 120GB SSD, and a 500GB partition. It's not used more than maybe 300GBs.

Yes, that's what I think, too.

I'm using scheduled backups again.

Thank you for your suggestions - as always!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• My WHS v1 (home build) starting misbehaving and finally needed a new system disk.
      After lots of threads, trial and errors, AF and non-AF drives, and lack of the Server Reinstallation choice it has finally progressed.
      Weeks of frustration. My recent attempts proceeded well but all ended up without the rebuilding of the Storage Pool (6 drives).
      The drives are detected and show up as "not added" in Server Storage and as "non managed" in Disk Management.
      There is no C:\fs on the SYS volume.
      It appears that the RebuildPrimary stage of the reinstallation, mentioned by some posters, was not successful. Has anyone found a way to force the rebuilding of the Storage Pool on reinstallation?
      I have tried X: Files v1.5.5 and the original Microsoft Disk with the same outcome. [My next step will be to migrate the "shares" and "folders" manually - it would have be quicker to have done this initially.]

• Hi, I can use all feature using the connector software in my local network. But when on the road, I connect via xxx.homeserver.com. Login works, can access my shared folders, but when I want to access the WHS 2011 Server Dashboard or my WHS 2011 Outlook, I got an error like this: The Computer can't connect with the Remotedesktop-Gatewayserver. Contact your network admin. (translated from german) . On an Windows 7 Home and on a 7 Pro Computer this worked. The same problem happens on my Windows 10 tablet. Only local working with the connector software. Windows 10 is version 1607. Any suggestions what this is?
    • Hello All, I've tried searching on the forum but was unable to find a good walk through on moving a whs V1 to new hardware. Many years ago now I built a server out of an old dell gx270.  That box is really showing its age and is having problems.  Currently the system will boot but it no longer has video and I have to remote into it to see anything. If memory serves me correctly there was a way to save a backup of the server data. Can I simply make this backup of the data and switch out the server hardware reattach the drives and load the backup? How do I get the existing computer backups to move across?   Thanks for any help you can provide.
    • I have the same problem.  I will try the suggestion of repairing "task scheduler" I'm also considering upgrading to Windows Server 2012 R2   See my post 
    • Thanks for the input; and yes, I am using Stablebit, a totally awesome pooling tool if I may say so.
  • Popular Contributors