• Announcements

• Terry (WGS)

WGS Forums Will Close on January 31st 2017   01/18/17

Hi everyone, We're coming up to We Got Served's ten year anniversary and I've been taking a good look at the site to work through some plans for the future. I wanted to give you all a couple of weeks notice that I'll be closing WGS Forums at the end of this month.  As you'll be aware, the forums were opened to support Windows Home Server users and have done so brilliantly, thanks to everyone's participation. However, with each day that passes, there are fewer and fewer WHS deployments out there, meaning that forum registrations and traffic has now dwindled. I've tried a few times over the years to test some forums on related or adjacent topics, however, they simply haven't caught on. It's clear that these were always going to be predominately Windows Home Server forums and, with the passing of that platform, they've served their purpose well. So, please take some time to archive anything you need over the next two weeks. Access to the forums will end on Jan 31st 2017. Many, many thanks once again for your participation and support here. It's been a great community! Very best wishes Terry
kitenski

Options for moving off Server Essentials 2012 R2?

3 posts in this topic

Morning all,

I run Server Essentials 2012 R2 on a HP Proliant Microserver but am at the end of my tether with it. With the recent Win10 updates on my client machines, every single one had the client connector uninstalled and on the two I've been working on I cannot get it to re-install.

I am considering moving to another solution and would like to know what folk recommend.

Requirements as below:

Server to goto sleep when not being accessed and to wake up when clients access media via shares or other methods (Lightsout currently being used for this)

Ability to auto backup clients without the family knowing anything about it!

My desktop meda editing platform needs to be able to sync music, videos and pics to the media server

Currently pay for Crashplan central to then backup those files off site - this seems to work so would want a crashplan client

Be able to serve media to smart TVs, XBox's, AppleTV etc etc

Thanks in advance,

GReg

Edited by kitenski

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

I've been thinking about using W10 as my server recently.  MS has pretty much killed the home server market via pricing and poor support like the issue you ran into.  Essentials is an after thought for MS.

The one thing that keeps me from moving to W10 is the remote access piece, but since that is not a requirement for you, I'd suggest W10.

Synology NAS. I bought one last week and I'm moving away from WSE and MS server products.  So far I like it. They are not cheap by any means, but I just cannot continue with MS.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Hi - I'm now on Lights-Out 2, but the problem persists. Today 3 client computers suddenly shut down after a Lights-Out backup, whilst they were in use (but the users were away from the keyboard so never saw the warning message). All 3 computers had missed their previous backup (scheduled during Friday night). The 3 computers were automatically backed up during the day today, Monday (their next scheduled backup was set for Monday night). At the end of the backup they shut down & the users lost work. I'm trying to create a situation where... Each evening, the client computers are put to Sleep. During the night, the server wakes up the clients in turn, runs a Lights-Out backup, then shuts down the clients. When all the backups are done, Lights-Out puts the server to Sleep. In the morning the clients are re-started, the server wakes up, and the day begins as normal (I like the idea of the clients being restarted regularly). If one of the client computers can't be woken up during the night (the user had accidentally shut it down at the end of the day, or took it home with them), I don't mind what happens next: either a 'normal' Windows server backup during the day; or nothing happens until the next scheduled night-time backup. But these unexpected daytime shutdowns are making me increasingly unpopular - is there any way to avoid them during the daytime when everyone is trying to work normally? many thanks, Simon
    • Please contact support@green-it-software.com and I can send you a copy.
    • Hi, I am looking for these drivers HpMssServiceSetup_v1.0.6 but the dowmload link is dead. Does anyone have a working link please. Thank you.
    • That guide is for installing Exchange on a Server Essentials network, not necessarily installing both services on the same server, which isn't a good idea at all to do (as SBS with Exchange 2007/2010 was a good example of how poorly both AD and Exchange run when both are on the same server), nor is it supported by Microsoft.  Exchange 2016 initially had compatibility issues when installed on Server 2016 until Microsoft's server team came up with KB3206632 and the Exchange team released December 2016's quarterly update (CU3 or 4). Your IIS Reverse proxy will only (currently) be supported on Windows Server 2012/R2, as you've no doubt discovered, the Application Request Routing version and update only support 2012/R2. I know it works for 2012 R2 because I'm running Exchange 2016 CU4 on Server 2012 R2 on my domain that also includes a Server Standard with Essentials Role installed (5 VMs:  2 Domain Controllers, Exchange 2016 CU4, Server Essentials and a Reverse Proxy server all running 2012 R2 using ARR 2.5 -- the ARR Reverse Proxy allows me to share Exchange, Essentials RWA and my QNAP on 443), but thus far, I haven't seen anything for Windows Server 2016.  ARR 3.0 might work with Server 2016, or your other alternative is to deploy another server running 2012/R2 and use ARR 2.5.
  • Popular Contributors