Fast uploads to server, slow downloads from it.

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When I test the speed:

(Uploading) I get 30-40 MB/sec from my Vista 64 client to the WHS server shared folder, which seems pretty good.

(Downloading) I get 6-7 MB/sec from WHS server to Vista 64 client. (copying to either of it's raid arrays)

Why is this happening? (note: I'm not the only one either, READ THIS)

My network equipment is as follows:

Linksys EG005W Gigabit Switch (connects the server and client together) --> Linksys WRT54GL Router running Tomato --> Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem

Full server specs:

* Intel Entry Server Motherboard SE7221BK1-E w/ Dual Intel Pro/1000 MT Adapters

* Pentium 4 540 3.2GHz

* 2GB (2x1GB) Kingston DDR2 PC5300 RAM

* Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8 port SATA Controller

* Promise SATAII150 TX4 4 port SATA Controller

* Adaptec 1210SA 2 port SATA controller

* Nine x Seagate 320GB 7200.10 drives (system) & (storage)

* Four x Western Digital 160GB Scorpio drives in a 4-in-1 Hotswap Bay running RAID 10 (320GB usable) (storage)

* Two x 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD502lJ drive (storage)

* Two x 500GB Seagate 7200.9 & .10 drives (storage)

* ASUS DVD-ROM

* Lian Li PC-75 Full Tower

* PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w CF Edition

* One x 120mm fan, six x 80mm fans, one x 70mm fan - All undervolted.

Full client specs:

* ASUS Striker Extreme

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz

* 8GB (4x2GB) G.SKILL 1066MHz @ 900MHz 5-5-5-15 2T

* EVGA 8800 Ultra Superclocked

* Dell/LSI Perc 5/i SAS Controller w/ 512MB DDR2 Cache

* RAID0 4x80GB Raptors (WD800GD)

* RAID5 4x750GB Hitachi 7K1000 (HDS721075KLA33)

* Intel Pro/1000 PT Adapter

* Samsung SH-S203B

* Auzentech X-Meridian w/ LM4562NA op-amps

* Cooler Master Stacker 832

* Cooler Master Ultimate Circuit Protection 900w

* Nine x 120mm fans, one x 92mm fan, two x 40mm fans - running on a Zalman MFC1 Plus-B Fan Controller

Note: I already applied this tip and this tip to my Vista client but it didn't make any difference.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

Might be a long shot but have you tried different ethernet cables?

Ethernet cables are normally done in pairs, i.e 1 pair, (2 cables), for send and the same for receive. I believe, but a more advance network teccie can correct me, that this still applies with 1gb connections, although they use more pairs in the cable.

If there's a faulty cable \ connection on just one of the pairs then it may reproduce your error. Again I could be wrong here but I think it's logical.

Maybe disconnect the Linksys and use that cable for testing.

Posted · Report post

I'm using CAT6 cables, tried some CAT5e too, no change. I even connected both server and client together without the switch in between and I get the same result.

I then tested file speeds between my storage pool drives and a non storage pool drive and writing and reading from it I get the same results as well.

Something with WHS is not right.

Posted · Report post

Anyone? Any other ideas?

I tried this tip also but still no dice. I also checked and my drives are in DMA mode so that's not the issue.

I'm going crazy. What good is a server if I can't share files at reasonable speeds?

Posted · Report post

I assume you tried the switch to 1000mpbs (1Gbps) Full Duplex listed in one of those guides you listed on BOTH of your systems? You may also want to try enabling Jumbo Frames depending on your network cards abilities. Some drivers have a simple ON/OFF option, others have preset sizes that must be the same on both ends to receive the data faster. In my setup, I am using 4Kb frames on all systems, some have used 7Kb with good effect. However, the best case scenario for this tweak is small amounts of really large files, no large amounts of really small files, where the disk subsystem starts to slow things down.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Posted · Report post

I will try it. It just bugs me cause I get good speeds to the server from my client but trying to read files off the server is dreadfully slow.

Posted · Report post

I will try it. It just bugs me cause I get good speeds to the server from my client but trying to read files off the server is dreadfully slow.

I had the same issue with my WHS (standard JBOD) and HTPC, but changing the HTPC NIC settings from "Auto-Negotiate" to "1.0Gbps Full Duplex" solved that issue.

Doesn't sound like it worked for you.

Posted · Report post

Since you have good transfer rates one way thru your network, you should get equal rates the other way. In other words, it does not *seem* as tho you have a network problem.

I noticed that you have several SATA cards in your WHS. This may or may not be the problem area, but...

If you really feel like going this far to track down the problem, you might (if possible) try to move data around until you get down to 1 SATA card. You *may* have driver conflicts from 1 card to another. 1 card may work just fine, perhaps 2 cards would be OK. 3?, who knows.

FWIW, my WHS is what is in my sig. My workstation is an Intel based (E6600) Vista x64 machine. I have not noticed any real slowdown, unless I am moving massive amounts of data and/or copying more than 1 set of data at a time. I do have a direct connection between these machines thru a 1gb switch, tho.

Posted · Report post

I enabled Jumbo Packets on the server and client for 4088 bytes (9014 was unstable, thinking my switch can't take it) and I also changed the transmit buffer on the client & server from 256 to 512. I also disabled flow control and QoS.

Now transfers to the server fluctuate up and down a little more 30-40 MB/sec (before) to 25-50 MB/sec (after) BUT transfers from the server over doubled! From 6-7 MB/sec (before) to around 18-19 MB/sec. (after)

This is much more acceptable but still it's not where I'd like it to be.

Anyone know the optimal settings for these Intel Pro/1000 NICs?

Posted · Report post

Changed a bunch of settings on these Pro NICS, got it now to 40-50MB/sec upload and 25-30MB/sec downloads.

Much happier!

If anyone needs I can get the exact details later.

Posted · Report post

Details are good !

Ben

Posted · Report post

Changed a bunch of settings on these Pro NICS, got it now to 40-50MB/sec upload and 25-30MB/sec downloads.

Much happier!

If anyone needs I can get the exact details later.

I am interested in the details, I have the same card and the network also needs some tweaking to get better results.

Thank you in advance.

Nic

Posted · Report post

You may not have solved the underlying issue which sounds like a duplex problem to me. I strongly suspect that one or more of your network ports or NICs has a fixed setting (like 100Mbps/full) and another is on automatic. This is bad.

When one end of a link (say the switch) is fixed to 100Mbps/full (for example) and the other end is auto-negotiate (auto), the auto-negotiate will FAIL and the adapter at that end immediately drops to auto-sense. Auto-sense detects the 100Mbps carrier (in my example) and therefore brings up the adapter as 100Mbps/HALF, since full-duplex isn't supported with auto-sense.

The result is that frames transmitted (by the full-duplex end) whilst another is being received will cause a collision and a connection reset at the half-duplex end. This causes the slow-one-way and fast-the-other problem.

SLOW DIRECTION

Say switch is 100Mbps/full

Server is 100Mbps/half

Downloading a large file Windows uses a 'sliding window', which means tiny ACK[nowledgement] frames are only sent every so often, rather than for every frame. Say the window size is 10 frames, the client will send an ACK after say 5 but the server will stop sending if it hasn't heard by the 10th frame (and wait).

The transfer starts, the server sends 5 frames full-speed and the client then sends an ACK. The switch forwards the ACK as the server is sending the 6th frame. The server sees a collision and stops sending.

If we're lucky the switch will re-sends the ACK for frame 5. Server now re-sends frames 6..10 and the cycle repeats. One lost frame in six plus a random wait (this is how Ethernet handles collisions), reducing transfer rates quite a bit.

On older or more basic kit the impact can be catastrophic as nothing re-sends the ACK. The server assumes all data was lost, reduces the window size, and re-starts. The window is eventually reaches just one frame. Send-wait-ACK rec'd-Send etc. Reckon on a few hundred Kbps on a 100Mbps link.

FAST DIRECTION

Same scenario, but PC is uploading a large file.

Client sends first 5 frames, server queues an ACK but can't send because the line is busy. Clients sends a further 5 frames and now stops and waits. Server can now send the first and second ACK and the process continues. No data loss but there is inefficiency added because the sending machine keeps needing to wait for ACKs. Hence higher transfer rate.

I think that jumbo frames will mask the problem because the overall number of packets lost for a given file transfer will be lower.

HTH.

Posted · Report post

I am interested in the details, I have the same card and the network also needs some tweaking to get better results.

Thank you in advance.

Nic

I set both Intel nics to have 9014 jumbo packets, I disabled log link state events, I disabled priority & vlan, enabled receive side scaling, offload v2 enabled, interrupt modulation enabled, and under the performance options section I have adaptive interframe spacing enabled, flow control rx & tx enabled, interrupt modulation rate adaptive, receive and transmit buffers at 2048.

I get up to 70MB/sec read and write now.

Posted · Report post

I set both Intel nics to have 9014 jumbo packets, I disabled log link state events, I disabled priority & vlan, enabled receive side scaling, offload v2 enabled, interrupt modulation enabled, and under the performance options section I have adaptive interframe spacing enabled, flow control rx & tx enabled, interrupt modulation rate adaptive, receive and transmit buffers at 2048.

I get up to 70MB/sec read and write now.

I have a pro 1000mt in the whs but cant access the advanced settings - even tried reinstalling the latest intel drivers. How did you access the advanced settings on the server?

Edit: I'm logging in remotely, so perhaps this is why I cant see them? Will try getting on actual whs later and update accordingly.

Edit 2: yep - remote access = no intel contol panel. glad i could help myself :-P

Posted · Report post

I thought Vista's magical Self-Tuning TCP/IP stack choked when "Receive Side Scaling"(RSS) was enabled? Obviously here in this instance it doesn't, not at +/- 70MB/s.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Windows 10 And Whs V1
      By DaveL · Posted
      Should add that I have backed up GPT which my current laptop has installed, just don't have a spare drive to test a full system restore for it at this stage
    • Windows 10 And Whs V1
      By DaveL · Posted
      thought I'd add here. I'm still running WHS V1, server running under VMware ESXi 5.5, client PC's updated to Win-10 with no issues, including installing the connector on a fresh install. Tested backup and restore to MBR disk with no issues at all. Can't vouch that UEFI/GPT will work successfully direct booted off the restore CD, so that may need to be achieved via a.n.other PC hosting the drive to be restored.
    • HP ex475 revival
      By Sodonnell8p · Posted
      I recently pulled out my old ex475, slapped in a fresh hd and booted upup. It went right into a recovery mode and then got to this point and stopped. What's my next step? This is a screenshot direct from a debug port vga connection.
    • Does WHS Launchpad need to be running to monitor?
      By KenV99 · Posted
      Hi, I am running WHS2011 and would like to know if in order for a Win10 or Win7 computer to appear in the uptime chart, if only using 'WHS Computers' as a Monitored Source (and not IP), does the computer need to have WHS Launchpad running? The connector is installed on all computers, but I prefer to not run the launchpad on my HTPC. Thanks.
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By darkarn · Posted
      Hi guys, after months of looking around for a better home (or mostly personal depending how you look at it  ) storage solution, I have decided to go ahead with a N54L! Here's what I have planned for and prepared so far with some background details on my use cases and setup:   Current Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Backup: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a shared PC. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 network drives over the home network (i.e. PC to router, router to laptop). Router: Asus RT-AC66U (All drives above are formatted in NTFS)   Planned Setup Computer(s): 1 Sager NP8170 (HDD changed into a Crucial M550 256GB) Main Storage: 1 3.5" 2TB HDD, 1 3.5" 1TB HDD in a N54L. (N54L to switch, switch to laptop, switch to router) Backup: 1 HGST 3.5" 3TB Deskstar HDD in a Hotway USB 3.0 external enclosure. Connected to my laptop as Windows 7 local drive via USB 3.0. Router: Asus RT-AC66U (Not sure if should stick with NTFS due to OS choice in the N54L. I prefer not to reformat if possible.)   Use Cases
      1. Storing my data in my HDDs and being able to access them (i.e. NAS) (High priority) 2. Monitoring HDD health with real-time alerts (High priority) 3. Media streaming (in home network mostly, but if can be done ) (Medium priority) 4. Production server for web projects e.t.c. (LAMP setup maybe?) (Medium priority) 5. Media transcoding (then again, I think my devices can handle untranscoded stuff...?) (Low priority)
      6. Creating an environment where I can learn the usage and deployment of servers for fun and for career (yes, I know, this sounds naive at best...) (??? priority)   Items to Get/Prepare N54L itself (need to choose between 250GB HDD/2GB RAM and 500GB HDD/4GB RAM) DDNS Hostname for router (done!) Switch Thumbdrive with OS and BIOS mod if need be (need to decide OS first) Extra Ethernet cables for the setup   Questions Despite looking around at many forums, I am still having some doubts and questions in planning and preparing its deployment. So, I need help in understanding more of the following: 1. Should I be expecting slower read/write speeds than my USB 3.0 connection but faster than those HDDs in the PC? (Expectations) 2. What should I take note of in maintaining such servers instead of my current setup? (Expectations) 3. Will a unmanaged switch do? (Hardware) 4. What PCIe cards should I prepare for? (Hardware) 5. Will I need dual NICs? (Hardware) 6. Will I need an USB 3.0 card on the N54L, or should I just use the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop? (Hardware) 7. Which OS I should go for? Or will hypervisors (i.e. ESXi) be more suited for my use cases? (Amahi, Ubuntu, WHS/Windows 8 are my top choices currently) (Software) 8. If I were to go for a hypervisor, what should I look out for? (Expectations/Software)     I hope this is not too much... Thanks!