Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ATT Uverse Router

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It took me a while to figure out how to set up WHS with uverse and decided I would post my steps in case other people had the same trouble. I have the 3800HGV-B Gateway. I could not get the uverse gateway or my d-link (in DMZ behind UG) router to work with upnp. Currently I have the UG setup for DHCP with a switch and extra wifi AP connected to the UG. All computers and server are connected to the switch.

1) Go to the home network tab.

2) Click edit firewall settings next to your servers name (or IP)

3) Click add new user defined application

4) Name it (WHS or something similar)

5) Enter the following TCP ports clicking add definition after each (also set the default TCP protocol timeout)

80 (for website)

443 (for HTTPS)

3389 (for console and RDP)

4125 (for remote access to files)

6) If it does not do so automatically, make sure that you add you new "application" and select "allow individual applications" for your sever.

7) When you return to the home network page, it should say hosting - WHS (or whatever you named your application)

NOTES:

IMPORTANT! Do not panic! You can only access your http://***.homeserver.com from outside you home network. To access you website inside your home network, go to //SERVER (or similar). (I do not know why)

You server may give you a warning that say verifying port forwarding failed; you can ignore this as long as the remote access tab in settings says that your site is accessible from the internet. This was done in PP2

I do not know if Windows Live Custom domains will update automatically if your external IP address changed. Anybody know?

This should work even if you have the sever plugged directly into the gateway, or anyway the UG assigns the server its IP

Did anybody have success with router behind router (I have DIR-615). I tried plugging this WAN port on Dlink into computer port on UG and putting it in DMZ to no avail.

Hope this helps anyone having trouble.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Posted · Report post

I had just the opposite experience, I am using router behind router setup with UVerse because I HAD to.

I have my Netgear RangeMax router behind my UVerse router, and all home computers and WHS computer is connected to the Netgear router. Only thing connected to my Uverse router is the STB.

Previously, I tried to have my WHS computer connected directly to the UVerse router, however it would only let me do remote access via web, but I could not see the computer in my network (which meant no local share and no local remote desktop), because the UVerse router gives it a public IP, so it no longer has a LAN ip, and thus not considered to be part of the internal network where all the other home computers are. So, I plugged everything into the Netgear router, and in the UVerser router I told it that the Netgear router was the DMZ, so all traffic can be handled by the Netgear router rather than the UVerse router.

I wish I could hook it up directly to the UVerse router, because the wireless signal on the UVerse router is about 2x as strong as the Netgear router. So you might say, "well just use the wireless from the UIverse router instead of the Netgear" - well that would put me in the same situation I was before where the home computers would all be on the UVerse network, and my WHS computer on the internal Netgear network, so local shares and RDP would not work then either

*Sigh*

This has been such a pain, but it is at least functioning now, even though I have really LOW/SLOW internal wireless strength now :(

Posted · Report post

Would you happen to know how to enable WakeOnLAN through the router? This approach would not work since the server needs to be on in order to have an ip address and the "Magic packet" needs to be sent to all computers in the local area network. I've read several guides for other routers but could not find any way to do it with the 3800HGV-B router.

It took me a while to figure out how to set up WHS with uverse and decided I would post my steps in case other people had the same trouble. I have the 3800HGV-B Gateway. I could not get the uverse gateway or my d-link (in DMZ behind UG) router to work with upnp. Currently I have the UG setup for DHCP with a switch and extra wifi AP connected to the UG. All computers and server are connected to the switch.

1) Go to the home network tab.

2) Click edit firewall settings next to your servers name (or IP)

3) Click add new user defined application

4) Name it (WHS or something similar)

5) Enter the following TCP ports clicking add definition after each (also set the default TCP protocol timeout)

80 (for website)

443 (for HTTPS)

3389 (for console and RDP)

4125 (for remote access to files)

6) If it does not do so automatically, make sure that you add you new "application" and select "allow individual applications" for your sever.

7) When you return to the home network page, it should say hosting - WHS (or whatever you named your application)

NOTES:

IMPORTANT! Do not panic! You can only access your http://***.homeserver.com from outside you home network. To access you website inside your home network, go to //SERVER (or similar). (I do not know why)

You server may give you a warning that say verifying port forwarding failed; you can ignore this as long as the remote access tab in settings says that your site is accessible from the internet. This was done in PP2

I do not know if Windows Live Custom domains will update automatically if your external IP address changed. Anybody know?

This should work even if you have the sever plugged directly into the gateway, or anyway the UG assigns the server its IP

Did anybody have success with router behind router (I have DIR-615). I tried plugging this WAN port on Dlink into computer port on UG and putting it in DMZ to no avail.

Hope this helps anyone having trouble.

Posted · Report post

I have not tried WakeOnLan.

However, if you are trying to do this on your local LAN, I do not see why the router would matter. If you are trying to do this remotely, I would love to know what you are using as it could prove helpful for me.

Posted · Report post

For this question - your router needs to support this loopback. A lot of the consumer routers don't.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Latest Posts

• Decisions, Decisions. Keep Whs2011 Or Make The Leap To 8.1
      By wiretap · Posted
      I made the jump from WHS 2011 to Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ MCE.

Old server:
      Intel i5 2500k Processor
      Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Motherboard
      8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
      90GB Corsair ForceGT SSD [OS Drive]
      20TB storage (FlexRAID∞ with 2-drive redundancy, all WD Green 1TB/2TB) 
      Ceton InfiniTV 4
      Rocketfish Case (modded to hold 20 hard drives)
      Highpoint DC-7280 Datacenter HBA
      Sans Digital TowerRAID 8-bay eSATA Enclosure
      Zalman 850w Heatpipe Cooled PSU
      WHS 2011 SP1

New server:
      Norco RPC-4220 4U Case
      Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
      Supermicro X9SCM Motherboard
      Intel Xeon E3-1240 Processor
      Supertalent 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1333 ECC RAM
      Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-e
      HDHomerun Connect (via network)
      3x IBM M1015 SAS Controllers flashed to IT Mode
      2x 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD's (Datastore and Backup Datastore)
      7x 4TB Western Digital SSHD's
      10x 2TB Western Digital Green HDD's
      1x 1TB Western Digital Passport for external backup images of OS
      5x SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables
      3x 120mm Arctic Cooling F12 PWM Fans
      2x 80mm Arctic Cooling F8 Rev.2 PWM Fans
      1x 92mm Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus PWM CPU Fan
      ESXi 6.0
      VM1: Windows 8.1 x64 w/ MCE + Emby Server + Ubiquiti NVR + SnapRAID + Stablebit Drivepool and Scanner
      VM2: Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 + PRTG Network Monitor + Backup Management

I went virtual, and I'm not looking back. It seems complicated when you first look at it, but it makes life so much easier.

With the new server setup, I have everything pretty much fully automated, and it will send me alerts if there's an error or a scheduled task fails. Hard drives will alert me on a SMART error, SnapRAID sync/scrub send notifications when they complete successfully or fail, TV/movie recordings auto save and archive with Emby Server, Ubiquiti IPcam recordings and alerts get sent to my phone, etc. The new server also uses about 50w less power, as logged from my UPS, so that's good as well.

ESXi is free, so I decided to give it a try. Deploying and managing VM's is very simple and I can even manage it from my phone via the VMware watchlist app. (you can even use remote desktop from it) I have it setup so my phone is connected to my pfSense router via OpenVPN, and ESXi alerts my phone if a VM has a problem.

I stepped away from WHS 2011 since it has been phased out, and I went with Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ MCE since it has a little bit better support for my applications I use on the server side, and it also supports CableCARD in WMC natively. (using Cable Advisor DRM bypass for encrypted channels) It's much better than the ghetto rigged Ceton network tuner sharing loophole I had setup before.

I'm also very happy with SnapRAID, since I was using FlexRAID before. It's much simpler, and I found FlexRAID buggy when I had to add/remove hard drives. I almost lost some of my data when a drive started to die and didn't alert me properly, then restoring it wasn't successful. (long story, as seen many times on FlexRAID forums)

Hope this helps.
    • Raid Confusion
      By wiretap · Posted
      I use RAID 6 (SnapRAID + Stablebit Scanner) for my data array, then I use Backblaze to store the data offsite, and I also have a backup server just in case my whole main server shits the bed (i.e. power supply kills the hard disks). You're best off diversifying your data storage and keeping an off-site backup of your most important data.
    • Hi Folks
      By Siddy · Posted
      Just got the link to the forum after getting my eBooks, I have a Hp N54L server which is running WHS2011 on 1 SSD but just starting to build Win 10 into a server on a new SSD so now to read the book. Got stuck at the making the 16 gig free space and after a few reboots it showed it self. now to carry on lol.
    • Fujitsu 1900 Restore CDs
      By thechief55 · Posted
      Hello guys I am new to this forum I have just bought a used Scaleo 1900 without restore CDs. I have tried the links to Fujitsu Support in order to obtain lates restore CDs in this topic http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/12592-want-to-restore-a-scaleo-15001900-already-have-please-read/ but to no success. Is it possible for someone to share an ISO image of the restore CDs for WHS 2008, I would be very grateful. Cheers
    • RAID 5 on the Motherboard and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application
      By erlewis · Posted
      My guess is the Intel tool wants to manage it's own RAID.  I've seen so many posts over the years here and there complaining about hardware RAID that I tend to skip over the BIOS RAID options now.