Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry (WGS)

PhotoSync

1 post in this topic

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Yeah, mine stopped working also, but this time the communicator would allow connection to the server.
      But the automated backups were not occurring. I had to re-setup the folders associated with the computer "Customize Backup For This Computer" and then the automated backups worked again. Apparently there is an option for an anniversary clean install. Then install the connector.
      I think that would be the best option. But definitely a pain in the butt. Let us know how it goes.
      Shane
      Sydney, Australia      
    • Depends on what your storage requirements are going to be.   I personally favor RAID-10 (mirrored stripe) arrays because of the lack of a need for parity, but it's not particularly storage efficient, and with your current setup, you'd have only 4TBs (3.63TiBs) of storage space available (half of an 8TB stripe due to mirroring), in which a minimum 160GBs of that 4TBs is used for the C: drive if you partition the volume during installation. WIth 4 disks, you could do RAID-5, which would give you 6TBs (5.4TiBs) of storage space (because 2TBs is used for RAID stripe parity), but then there's the parity performance penalty and the higher risk of an unrecoverable read error (URE) killing your array and losing your data if you're not using enterprise drives.   ...or you could try Storage Spaces, I guess.
    • RODCs only work with "active" services like DHCP when the RWDC (your DC) is still active.  If the RODC can't get the information from the RWDC, then the DHCP service stops on the RODC.   The problem is, since the RODC is read-only, it can't write back the DHCP lease information to AD, especially if your only read-write domain controller is down.   DNS and Global Catalog (AD authentication) works as long as clients are only reading from it, but DNS changes won't update if a client's only DNS server is a RODC.   AD best-practices is to have a minimum of two RWDCs for any domain (which Microsoft itself doesn't follow with the Essentials product in the first place), so that you have another writable domain controller that can update information in the event the primary goes offline.
    • That's not how WAN uplinks work.  Except for very specific circumstances*, you won't be able to aggregate separate WAN links into one large WAN "pipe" with combined bandwidth to a single destination.  TCP/IP doesn't work that way, and even in the event you somehow jury rig half of an IMUX'ed (inversely multiplexed) connection with three very different WAN connections, most intelligent security devices on the public Internet will simply reject TCP [SYN,ACKs] they never received an initial TCP [SYN] from -- asymmetric routing will just be outright rejected.   Most smart security devices can support multiple WAN connections (usually two with a third as a warm spare backup), but done in such a way that there's a defined primary connection, a designated backup/failover connection...or done in such a way that each outgoing connection uses a separate WAN link, or in an active/backup/cellular failover or active/active/cellular failover configuration in the case of Cisco's Meraki hardware   To illustrate how it'd work, say you have three connections:  LTE-1, LTE-2 and ADSL.  So you have Netflix open.  That connection to Netflix is only going to take a single path (LTE-1), since each path has its own public IP address.  If you then decide to go to YouTube in a new browser tab, that YouTube connection may take a separate path (LTE-2), depending on how you have the uplinks configured.  Then you decide to stream Pandora from a third browser tab -- that Pandora stream may also take the last path available (ADSL), but each media stream will still be limited to the bandwidth of the path it's taken and won't be aggregated to a single connection equaling the sum of all three WAN uplinks.   *The only scenario in which WAN aggregation works as a combined WAN "pipe" is if you have a single ISP that can terminate a group of identical media types between you and their edge before going out to the Internet -- such as a group of DS1, DS3 or IMA (Inverse Multiplexing over ATM) connections from your edge device to their first hop edge.  In that scenario, the WAN bundle is only going between you and your ISP, but that requires ISP support, additional ISP-provided hardware, and is usually VERY EXPENSIVE to implement for a home user.
    • I've been thinking about using W10 as my server recently.  MS has pretty much killed the home server market via pricing and poor support like the issue you ran into.  Essentials is an after thought for MS. The one thing that keeps me from moving to W10 is the remote access piece, but since that is not a requirement for you, I'd suggest W10.
  • Popular Contributors