Forums

1. We Got Served eBook Discussion

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

1. Apple Mac OS X Server

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

1. Components

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

1. Apple Mac OS X

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

Help and support for Windows PCs.

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

1. Digital Media Receivers

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

1. 88

1. General Chat

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    giles119

• Like many people, I started with Wndows Home Server, then gravitated to Server 2011, but of late have had littles niggles with connectivity between my various PCs. I have "bitten the bullet" and decided to build a Win 10 Server, almost wholly based on Terrys book, which I highly recommend. The question I have is, has anyone tried Light Outs on a Win 10 server, as I have used that on both servers in the past, and have found it to be an excellent aid to a home server. I cannot find any mention in the forums, would appreciate your thoughts.
    • Having an issue where the service- "Win Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service" will not start with error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.  Event log indicates that sharedserviceshost is the problem. From event viewer- Faulting application name: SharedServiceHost.exe, version: 6.1.1839.0, time stamp: 0x4d38a956 I believe that the latest Win10 features update caused this error because after it installed on 8/15 my client backups stopped. Anyone else seeing this issue with the feature update?

• I renamed Program Files\Windows Server, Windows\System32\Essentials and ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server to "_old"; same with the registry entry.  After downloading and reinstalling the connector from http://[servername]/connect, there was no improvement; the connector still didn't work.  That seems to break backups, too.  Without communication through the connector the server can't reach out to the client to find out what the backup rules are (like whether to only run if the computer is up and not asleep). Then I tried the Windows 10 advanced troubleshooting option to revert to the prior build, but that left my computer unbootable and looping through offers to run diagnostics. I used my restore media from Storage Server Essentials 2012 R2 and just restored the program partition from my last backup, and I'm back in business on the old version of Windows 10.  I had to reinstall the connector, but everything looks and works just fine. I may try again this weekend to do the upgrade in the correct order (uninstall connector, upgrade, reinstall connector), but I'd really like to know if either the Windows 10 or the Windows Server team are planning on updated connector software that has been tested.
    • Basically both are same Processer in speed but   HP 719051-B21  server has HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 server E5-2620v3 2.4GHz  might be small speed variation both best performance 
    • It's been a long time but wasn't there a way to host custom drivers on the WHS server? Or maybe add them to the CD? There is one Intel NUC that has vPro. If you have that one, you might be able to get out-of-band KVM working so you could control it remotely. I blogged the vPro part here:  http://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2014/12/set-up-intel-amt-for-remote-kvm/.
  • Latest Topics