1. We Got Served eBook Discussion

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

2. Home Servers & NAS

1. Apple Mac OS X Server

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

2. Network Attached Storage

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

3. Server Hardware

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

4. 113471
  3. Smart Home

1. Components

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

3. Lighting

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

5. Smart Home Platforms

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

6. Temperature Control

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

4. Computers, Networking and Storage

1. Apple Mac OS X

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

2. Windows

Help and support for Windows PCs.

3. Hard Drives and Storage

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

4. Networking

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

5. Home Cinema and Gaming

1. Digital Media Receivers

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

2. Xbox & PlayStation

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

6. Mobile

1. 88
  7. Open Mic

1. General Chat

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

2. Pleased to Meet You!

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    • All Client Backups Missing/no Clients Will Backup - Can Seem To Do Them Manually
      System specs? What dependencies? Errors in Event Viewer? Drives full?
    • Installing Windows Home Server In A Virtual Machine
      Re side question: Yes I have been running WHS2011 in a VM on a QNAP TVS871 since earlier this year. I was previously running WHS2011 on an HP N54L with "Lights out" and "Cloud Berry Backup".  My various Windows Clients used to backup into the HP machine and the HP machine backed up it's RAID 5 array (>2TB) via Cloud Berry into another local NAS box. The main issues I have found with using VM's related to Power control, Time and Date and Windows new continuous update service. The QNAP box doesn't talk power control with what's running on the VM, so Lights out just turns the VM on and off but not the underlying NAS box. I don't have a work around. A lot of newish programs in VM's will pick up their time and date from the underlying NAS box. WHS2011 doesn't. The work around here is to set up a sync job in WHS2011 using Task Scheduler. The new Windows continuous update service makes life difficult as you cant just power down the NAS randomly. You need to check the status of WHS2011, shut it down, shut the VM down and then turn the NAS off. After much playing around with how to arrange my various processes I have currently settled on using most of the functionality in the NAS box and limiting WHS2011 to hosting "MyMovies".  Backup of all the ex Windows Clients is done by using the local Windows Backup process in each ex Client. OK for Win7 and Win 10 but not so hot for Win8 as it doesn't have an image backup process. So best of luck on your journey, hopefully you have a bit of a guide to some of the potholes on the journey 
    • All Client Backups Missing/no Clients Will Backup - Can Seem To Do Them Manually
      this is bigger than just backups for me... checked services and it appears none of the windows server services are running even though they are set to automatic. Reboot does not start them. If I try to manually start them I get a 1068 error regarding dependencies.  
    • WHS 2011 backup after migration to ssd for Windows 10 client
      Hi all I have upgraded my laptop with ssd and I have couple question. I tried to restore a full backup from WHS, but it looks like 450MB recovery partition was restored empty. Has anybody experienced the same? So I used other software to clone the drive. After that I got message that I need adjust backup drives setting in WHS dashboard. I see that some drives are offline. I unchecked those and included the new ones. Is there a way to cleanup the offline drive? It seems that W10 does not report amount of free space for 450MB recovery partition in Disk Management console, but MIniTools does and I can explorer that partition with MiniTools. Has anybody experienced the same?   Thanks
    • Newbee with QnapTS469L
      I apologize in advance If this is in the wrong Place. I am migrating from a Media Smart Server EX490 Version 1.0 to a Qnap. I successfully installed it with 4 2TB drives and accepted the RAID 6 configuration. I was disappointed that I only got 3.6 TB of storage. After reading about RAID configurations and now understand why. I would like to change to RAID 5 but I understand that this is not possible through the provided migrations tools. You can only migrate up in number. I have not loaded and files yet so starting over seems to be my only option.  So what i am asking is what is my best option for starting over. I am assuming that is the online option I also have one 4TB Red drive. Does it make any sense to use it as the 4th drive or should I stay with a 2TB drive in position 4.   Happy Thanks Giving To ALL
  • Latest Topics