Forums

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

Help and support for Windows PCs.

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mike Kiprusoff

• WHS Upgrade
      By Rlefler · Posted
      I want to upgrafe WHS 2011 to Windows 10. Do I need to make a clean install? Also if I do is there a chance that files will be changed on other hard drives besides C (system) & D (Recovery)? I have mostly media files on the other hard drives.   
    • Questions on Planning and Preparing for a N54L
      By darkarn · Posted
      Thanks! 1. I am surprised, I thought the speed difference in USB3 and Ethernet will make a difference. 2. Hmm, is Teamviewer an example of a RDP? 4. If I am going for a Gen8, does this mean that I do not need a USB3 card? 6. Am I right to say that I should use some RDP to transfer the files from the server to the USB drive attached to it? 7. I have a webserver running a LAMP stack currently, hopefully that experience will help! Thanks again!
    • Windows 10 clients on SBS 2011e
      By Gordon Currie · Posted
      OK, I know it isn't WHS 2011, but the underlying code for SBS2011e is 90% the same. My question probably has to do more with Window 10 logging in to a microsoft account and how that interacts with a domain login. I will be upgrading my wife's office PCs to Windows 10 soon. She currently has her PCs login to the SBS2011e server, and authenticate on her domain. (Now that I think about it, this probably is more suited for Windows Server 2012e due to the domain login issue.) What is the best practice for setting up Windows 10 clients in a business environment where they must login to a domain? Go with local accounts or the Microsoft account?
    • WHS 2011 No Free Upgrade?
      By mikmock · Posted
      I am pretty sure I know this answer but it has not been addressed in the book or forum; if one plans to upgrade their WHS 2011 to a Windows 10 Home Server, will it require the $199 price tag for a copy of Windows 10 Pro? I looked on Microsoft's website and saw no indication that WHS 2011 is eligible for an upgrade. Although it is technically within the era of Windows 7. Anyway, its a serious consideration for anyone thinking of using Windows 10 as a server, at least upgrading from WHS 2011. 
    • Disappearing HDD
      By jock23 · Posted
      I have been using a 2td HDD in my HP N40L Microserver for both storage and boot drive for around 2 years with no problem. Space was getting low so I bought another WD Red drive, this time a 3tb one. Installed it in the machine as normal and turned it back on. The drive showed up in drive management, I was able to select it and chose "gpt", formatted it and add a new volume so I could start using it. It showed up on my computer fine as drive E: However, as soon as I started moving some files across to it, it would run for about 30 seconds then hang, throw up an error message saying the file wasn't found in that location then kick me off. At that point the new drive would disappear off everything, not showing on my computer, drive management or device management. I read about bad connections but I have pulled the drive out, moved it to other slots, reinstalled it into the non-hot swap bays etc but I am still getting the same issue. Everything is fine with my other hdd. If I turn the server off and on again, the new hdd reappears. Annoyingly I can transfer small files across, it is as soon as I start moving any folder that is larger than about 1gb, thats when this occurs I would look to reformat etc but now it has some of the files on it that I transferred across and I don't want to lose them. Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?? Thanks
  • Latest Topics