Forums

1. We Got Served eBook Discussion

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

1. Apple Mac OS X Server

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

1. Components

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

1. Apple Mac OS X

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

Help and support for Windows PCs.

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

1. Digital Media Receivers

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

1. 88

1. General Chat

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cptbstd

• Lights out won't wake from hybrid sleep
      The answer to your question is "yes". I reviewed the link you sent and the only difference was that I had a time setting for "sleep after".
      I turned off hybrid sleep and set a time for the "hibernate after" setting. It was set to never. This allowed LO to wake from hibernate. I went back to the settings again and turned on hybrid sleep with a time setting for "sleep after" and
      "hibernate after" and LO will wake from hibernate. Go  figure!
      I must mention that I use a desktop shortcut to putting the server into hibernate: "SetSuspendState 0,1,0" without the quotes in command line.
      I don't know if this makes a difference or not. but when hibernate is turned on with the powercfg command the computer will hibernate. with hibernate
      off the computer will go to normal sleep (power light flashes). Now that that problem is solved I have to find out what else wakes the computer besides LO. I had been away for a few hours and on returning home
      the computer was on. A short time later it went to hibernation. It's my guess that Windows 10 update takes control at certain times for updates. That's
      why I now shut things down for the night including the router. Thank you for your support.
    • Before getting started
      The requirements for the CPU stated in Terry's book can be checked by running Sysinternals 'coreinfo' which is a free download from MS TechNet. I used this to check my own server hardware before I made the move from WHS2011 to Windows 10.  In my own (and admittedly limited) experience hardware performs slightly better with Windows 10 than with WHS2011. Chris
    • Vale WHS V1
      Well, I have finally bitten the bullet and started to decommission my WHS V1 server. It's a bit sad really as WHS has served me well for a number of years just sitting in the corner quietly doing it's thing. But the inability to recognise drives larger than 2TB and it's inability to backup the more recent OSes, while not an issue now as my PCs are still all Win7, will become a problem in the foreseeable future. So, with a heavy heart I have commenced building the replacement. Due to cost considerations, I have decide to go with Win10 as the replacement. Running the OS on a SSD and using a pool of HDDs for data storage. I wanted as much as possible to emulate the functionality of WHS, so I am using StableBit Drive Pool to pool the disks and run file duplication, and Veeam Endpoint to back up my clients on a regular basis. There is a small app offered on the Veeam forums that one of their users developed to report on backup success/failure, so I will be playing with that to keep tabs on the backups. I've just commenced putting this together, so I'll let you know how it goes.
    • Client Pc Shows Offline In Server 2012 Dashboard But Is Connected To The Domain
      Windows 10 clients are updated. I ran chkdsk on SSD boot drives (errors fixed - this seems to be a reoccurring problem that may be related) I ran SFC /scannow to fix and windows issues.  WSE dashboard see's clients as offline and reports Windows updates needed and restart needed. I've done both. No client backups for 55 days now. Not good.
    • Question on clients connected to the domain (and WSE in general)
      ncarty & Shidoshi, I am planning on doing the same thing (no domain setup) with my setup. I have one question though. If I do join my clients to the domain, can they log back onto their local accounts if they choose to? Thanks, Skip
  • Latest Topics