1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

1. Apple Mac OS X Server

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

2. Network Attached Storage

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

3. Server Hardware

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

4. 113298
    1. Components

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

3. Lighting

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

5. Smart Home Platforms

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

6. Temperature Control

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

1. Apple Mac OS X

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

2. Windows

Help and support for Windows PCs.

3. Hard Drives and Storage

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

4. Networking

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

1. Digital Media Receivers

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

2. Xbox & PlayStation

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

1. 88
    1. General Chat

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

2. Pleased to Meet You!

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    The Solutor
  • Latest Posts

• The "Holy Grail": WMC on 2011 servers, now is possible !!!
      By The Solutor · Posted

First tmessage here just to inform you that i managed to get finally working (fully working) WMC on Vail.

So tink twice before thinking to upgrade to something else.  
      Details here!!!!        
    • HP ProLiant ML350 Generation 5 (G5)
      By Terry (WGS) · Posted
      It's a beast, but you can't beat free!
    • Cant Connect Lan Via Launchpad
      By wimkapteyn · Posted
      This is a problem that plagued me on Windows 7 clients, Windows 8 clients , Windows 8.1 clients and now on WIndows 10 clients as well. Sometimes though it seems that all is well and some of the connected PC's can launch the launchpad and get connected. But then other PC's do get a disconnect. I ahve tried to have more user accounts, but to no avail. As it is an intermittent problem (more often than not) I suspect the root cause is somewhere in the undelying connection between WHS and al of its clients. Every client has received  the newest NET and MS updates, so that is not a problem. Every PCclient has its AntiVirus updated (I use several, but that does not make any difference at all), and has its MS firewall ON. Now I have put every PC and the WHS in a homegroup. I can see the WHS in the network, connect to shares, instigate a remote desktop connection from the client to the server. Probably , as it is end of life, MS does not bother anymore. Suggestion is then to abandon WHS as I have doen before on a different home installation and get along with at least 8.1 (and file history ON). So in short : unless MS does something about this issue, re-installing clients or servers does not help.   Cheers, A not so happy WHS user, Wim  
    • HP ProLiant ML350 Generation 5 (G5)
      By gibby · Posted
      Hi All. I've got a friend with 3 HP ProLiant ML350 Generation 5 (G5) servers of which he is willing to give me one. They currently have dual xeon processors, 32gb ram, dual psu's, and 6 500GB drives (which I will replace). I'm wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good MS2012R2 Essentials machine? Or is it just too old and power hungry? I know I need to upgrade the HD Controller to handle larger drives without issues. It's free, so just want to see everyone's opinions. My usage will be for PC/Mac backups, Video storage/transcoding, iTunes server, and maybe a virtual server for web/mail. Thoughts? Currently running an HP EX490 with WHS2011 and starting to have issues with it, so thought it's time to either build a new machine, or try out the ProLiant G5. gib
    • Backups from different WHS instance
      By CoffeeQuaffer · Posted
      I have a hard disk full of WHS 2011 client backups attached to a new instance of WHS.  One of those clients threw it's hard disk before I got it backed up using the new instance.  How can I "merge" those other backups into my new WHS instance?  Worst case, is there a way to simply mount the data so I can retrieve the data I want? Thanks! Perry
  • Latest Topics