• Announcements

• Terry (WGS)

WGS Forums Will Close on January 31st 2017   01/18/17

Hi everyone, We're coming up to We Got Served's ten year anniversary and I've been taking a good look at the site to work through some plans for the future. I wanted to give you all a couple of weeks notice that I'll be closing WGS Forums at the end of this month.  As you'll be aware, the forums were opened to support Windows Home Server users and have done so brilliantly, thanks to everyone's participation. However, with each day that passes, there are fewer and fewer WHS deployments out there, meaning that forum registrations and traffic has now dwindled. I've tried a few times over the years to test some forums on related or adjacent topics, however, they simply haven't caught on. It's clear that these were always going to be predominately Windows Home Server forums and, with the passing of that platform, they've served their purpose well. So, please take some time to archive anything you need over the next two weeks. Access to the forums will end on Jan 31st 2017. Many, many thanks once again for your participation and support here. It's been a great community! Very best wishes Terry

Forums

1. We Got Served eBook Discussion

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

1. Apple Mac OS X Server

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

1. Components

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

1. Apple Mac OS X

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

Help and support for Windows PCs.

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

1. Digital Media Receivers

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

1. 88

1. General Chat

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Doclake

• I am running WSE2012 R2 and I only ever see red, yellow or green. I have never seen blue even when backing up. I can't explain what could be happening here, but maybe some feedback from other users may help us pin it down. What OS are your client PC's? Mine are all Win 10. Not sure if that may have a bearing.   
    • I made the leap from WHSv1 to WSE2012R2.  I like the new system but one thing seems to be missing.  In WHS v1, the tray icon would change colors to indicate various things blue - backing up now green - everything is healthy yellow - warnings detected (e.g. haven't backed up in a while) red - critical issues (e.g. recent backup failed) In WSE 2012 R2, however, I only get the blue and green indicators, even when there are critical errors on my home network.  For example, a server hard drive had failed for several weeks, but the connector icon in my system tray remained green.  I only discovered the issue when I happened to login to the dashboard for something else. Does anyone know if this feature has been removed in the latest WSE versions?  Or have I just mis-configured something?
    • I am building a new home server: I really want to use StableBit DrivePool and Scanner - am used to them and like the relative ease of use. Hardware = PC running Windows 7 Pro has SSD for OS and 5 additional 2TB HDDs + SansDigital Towerraid (model TR5M6G) connected by eSATA controller (pCie) with 5 2TB HDDs of varying age (2 brand new WD Red and the remaining 3 a combo of Hiatachi and Seagate of varying age - all test out fine for now). Towerraid is currently configured as JBOD, so I can't really see individual drives, and neither does StableBit drive pool - so I get a pool consisting 5 1.82 TB drives (the ones on the PC) and 1 giant 9.1TB drive. I have about 10 TB of data ready to go into this new build.  Will be adding more over time.  Not sure when but certain I'll have HDDs go bad on me, of course. My question(s): 1)  Is there a RAID configuration that will let StableBit do its thing watching individual drives and letting me identify sick drives that need to be removed/replaced?                           2)  If I decide to give up the RAID and just let DrivePool handle duplication, how do I configure the SansDig?                           3)  Am I just getting it all wrong from the get-go? Would appreciate any advice - thanks   
  • Latest Topics