Forums

1. Building a Windows 10 Home Server

Discuss Building a Windows 10 Home Server and ask any questions as you follow the guide. 

Discuss your experiences with and questions about Apple OS X Server.

If you want to chat about NAS devices, you're amongst friends right here.

Discuss your server hardware in this forum.

If you have a problem with your smart home kit, or have a questions about a specific component that doesn't fit in another forum, share it here.

• No posts here yet
    2. Network/IP Cameras

Use this forum to chat about Network/IP Cameras.

Use this forum to discuss smart home lighting solutions, such as Philips Hue, Lightify and others.

• No posts here yet
    4. Security

Smart Locks, motion detectors, home sensors, alarms and more. Talk about them here.

Discuss Smart Home Platforms such as SmartThings, Apple HomeKit and others right here.

Discuss your experiences with smart home temperature control devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, Honeywell Lyric and others.

Need help a with Mac? Talk here.

Help and support for Windows PCs.

If you're looking for discussion about hard drives, solid state drives and other storage media, then head here.

From Ethernet to Powerline, Wi-Fi, Routers and Switches - discuss your networking issues and victories in this forum.

Discuss digital media receivers which connect to home servers, PCs and other networked attached storage devices.

Share your experiences and issues with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One and the Sony PlayStation.

If we've not covered your discussions in other forums, then post it here.

New to the forums? Feel free to pop in here, introduce yourself and post your home server specs, if you wish.

Upgrade to a WGS Supporter Account to remove this ad.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    firedd

• RAID 5 on the Motherboard and Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application
      By Spaatz · Posted
      Greetings, I followed this guide (great by the way) to completion, using almost identical components and opted for the RAID 5 option to pool my 9TBs of disks into a 6TB RAID 5.  I opted to configure the RAID drives at the motherboard level using the BIOS.   I followed the directions to install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application that runs in the background but have noticed that it reports errors of an incompatible SATA Array.  Is this because I didn't use the Intel Tool to configure RAID at the outset or a problem with the app?  Is my data safe on the drive? Love the manual.  I am building my second now using the same specs and would like to know if I should even install Intel's little tool or not again.
    • new server build - hdd choice
      By dazza666 · Posted
      Hello all  It's time to upgrade my server; I currently have a WHS v1setup, based around a tranquil PC 5 bay WHS v1 box, which has been mostly excellent, but due to the the limitation of 2TB HDD with V1. I have ended up with various USB expansion drives and its got to the point where its time to upgrade to a new system, at this point its not worth considering V2 of the home server software. The new set up is around a Windows 10 storage spaces & 4 bay HP microserver. I wanted to load up the Microserver with seagate's 8TB HDD, but after reading about the performance of this HDD i'm not so sure if I should choose a different drive as my boot drive Does anyone have any recommendations? I was considering a WD Red 5TB as the boot drive - but should I be looking at something else?
    • Windows 10 Server Not Suspend
      By Lamplugh · Posted
      Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been trying out a number of options all to no avail. As Andrew suggested I have disabled Wake on Pattern Match, (It was previously enabled.) The Power Power Management options were already ticked, so I have tried unticking them all waiting 24 hours and then reticking. Wake on Magic Packet is currently enabled, I don't know if I should change that. I don't seem to have the Shutdown Wake on Lan option but I do have WOL & Shutdown Link Speed which is set to 10 Mbs First. I still feel it is some W10 feature as the new system seems dead keen on talking to Microsoft at every opportunity. I have obviously tried to switch as many of these off as I know about. Any suggestion welcome as I don't really want my server on effectively 24/7.  
    • Temp Files Created By Server Backup
      By Dave Marchant (WGS) · Posted
      It sort of makes sense as the oldest tmp file corresponds to the oldest backup. I agree that it is not good design. I don't fancy a BSOD just at the moment as about to go away on holiday so need to have the server working reliably while I am away or I get no email  Could be one for the MVP's to feed back into Microsoft for a comment. 
    • Temp Files Created By Server Backup
      By glorp · Posted
      Thank you for confirming that Dave! I don't have the full gui installed so I couldn't do a Disk Cleanup on mine. I wondered if that would work to get rid of them. Guess not. I suspect they may be some kind of mount point for the vhd that is created right at the beginning of backup and deleting them causes havoc later when Server Backup tries to do incremental backups using the old mount point. My backups "exist" forever since they are on 1TB and in no danger of running out of space. It occurred to me that maybe they get deleted when a backup gets removed. In any case it's a pretty piss poor design to leave critical ".tmp" files in Windows\Temp if you ask me. If you really want to test things at your end, delete them In any case at least I know what has been causing the random BSODs I get every few months since I installed WSE2012 and what to do not to get them.  
  • Latest Topics